Vol. 5, Issue 31
Welcome to the first Tuesday edition of Nerd News! I hope y’all enjoy what I’ve found for you, regardless of when you end up reading this.
In TV news:
- Chad Michael Murray (One Tree Hill) and Enver Gjokaj (Dollhouse) will both have roles in upcoming episodes of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Here’s a synopsis for the show’s second season.
- Netflix is betting large on Gotham; they’ve already bought the show’s streaming rights. (Thanks, Colt!) Here are some new images from the show.
- Warner Bros. TV is working on a Supergirl series with the guys who brought us Arrow.
- Speaking of, Arrow’s Ra’s Al Ghul has been cast. (And he’s a white guy.)
- Constantine has its Detective Jim Corrigan.
- Weird Al will have a cameo role on ABC’s midseason medieval musical Galavant. (Thanks, Rebecca!)
- Hodor and Bran will not be in Game of Thrones’ fifth season.
- New photos from The Walking Dead’s fifth season have been released.
- The new cast image for American Horror Story: Freak Show features a three-boobed Angela Bassett.
- Steven Spielberg’s Minority Report series will take place 10 years after the movie.
- Here’s a first look at Allison Williams (Girls) as Peter Pan.
- The LEGO Movie directors are working on a reboot of The Greatest American Hero.
Here are a few previews:
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
American Horror Story: Freak Show
Once Upon a Time
Gallery 1988’s Joss Whedon show is full of great art, including these Firefly pieces:
In webseries news:
- Amazon is reviving The Tick! With Patrick Warburton!
- Netflix’s Marvel shows “won’t be afraid to go darker.”
And here’s a trailer for the Veronica Mars spin-off Play it Again, Dick.
In movie news:
- Here’s a better look at Vision from The Avengers: The Age of Ultron.
- Also, might we get a new Avengers team at the end of the film?
- Robert Downey Jr. says there will not be an Iron Man 4.
- Captain America 3 will likely be the end of Steve Rogers’ run as Cap.
- James Gunn is looking to include more female characters in the next Guardians of the Galaxy.
- X-Men: Apocalypse will start shooting in Montreal next year.
- Related: The charges against Bryan Singer have been dropped.
- Troy Barnes had a surprising cameo in The Amazing Spider-Man 2.
- The Rock is officially in a superhero movie; he’ll be playing Black Adam in a Shazam movie.
- The Shazam movie might not be part of the typical DC universe, however (i.e., it’ll have jokes).
- Love the winged-armor look in this new Hunger Games poster.
- The release of How to Train Your Dragon 3 has been delayed.
- Here’s some info on Disney’s upcoming new shorts, Lava and Feast.
- Neil Gaimain's "Hansel and Gretel" will be adapted for film.
- Koba might make an appearance in the next Planet of the Apes movie.
- Charlie Hunnam will play King Arthur in Guy Richie’s new Arthurian movie.
- Vin Diesel has released a photo of himself from the set of The Last Witch Hunter.
- The release dates for three new Terminator movies have been announced: July 1, 2015; May 19, 2017; and June 19, 2018.
- The Underworld franchise is getting a reboot. Sigh.
- Quentin Tarantino’s The Hateful Eight will start filming in January.
- The Shadow of Colossus film has a director: Andres Muschietti, who also directed Mama. (Thanks, Wes!)
Here are some trailers:
Big Hero 6
Burying the Ex
And a new Star Trek Into Darkness gag reel!
Mondo released a fun set of Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventures posters by DKNG last week.
Filipe Carvalho has created a fun set of Star Wars minimalistic characters.
Tom Hiddleston recently stopped by a music festival and performed as part of his preparation to play Hank Williams. (Thanks, Meredith!) The video got removed, but here's another view.
In misc. news:
- Funko is releasing Firefly and cartoon X-Men POPs.
- Marvel is releasing a set of variant covers in October to show their support for anti-bullying month.
- Neil Gaiman is writing a new short story anthology.
- He and Terry Pratchett are also adapting Good Omens for radio.
- R.L. Stine will be writing more Fear Street books.
- Hannibal is getting a cookbook. I wonder if there are vegan options.
- MAC is releasing a new makeup line inspired by The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
- The identity of Jack the Ripper might have finally been figured out, this time thanks to DNA.
- A lost Monet painting was found in a suitcase 75 years after it went missing.
- That whole business about Hello Kitty not being a cat? Not true. Or not entirely, anyway?
- These Shakespeare versions of Modern songs are great.
- Even greater: #nintendarmok.
I wish these Cornetto Trilogy figurines were real!
Heymonster’s Strong Female Characters series is so great.
The Incredibles could have been a whole lot darker.
And Monsters, Inc., could have been a whole lot more … Alien.
In SCIENCE! and tech news:
- NASA wants you to tweet them messages to include in an asteroid time capsule.
- Curiosity recently captured photos of clouds. On Mars.
- The most powerful deep space rocket ever will be launched in 2018.
- Turns out: Stonehenge was originally a circle.
- Trovants—stones in Romania—actually grow.
- The mystery behind Death Valley’s rolling rocks has been revealed.
- This new weight loss program rewires a person’s brain.
- The world’s largest dinosaur has a name: Dreadnoughtous Schrani. (Thanks, Colt.)
- Five new flying monkey species have been described.
- Blue Whales have bounced back from whaling.
- A super rare black tiger cub has been born.
- Dogs prefer petting to vocal affirmations.
- These five supplements might help combat depression symptoms.
- Dyson has announced that they’ll be releasing a robot vacuum. (Thanks, Colt.)
Love these chibi Avengers illustrations by Sean Galloway and Brian Lawver.
These “if DaVinci designed Iron Man” illustrations by Axel Medellin are fun.
This Joey Chou Wonder Woman piece is gorgeous!
In gaming news, from TGG:
- A lot happened at PAX Prime this weekend, so here’s a roundup of all the MMO info that’s fit to print.
- Bungie has launched Destiny Planet View, which is, essentially, Google’s street view, but for Destiny’s environments.
- Here’s a new live-action trailer for the game, which is being described as very Guardians of the Galaxy. (The trailer, not the game.)
- Additionally, someone has created a Minecraft tribute to the game, which is out today.
- More info about the Dragon Age: Inquisition multiplayer component was released at PAX Prime.
- Here’s more info in BioWare’s upcoming 4-on-1 RPG Shadow Realms.
- Batman: Arkham Knight will be released June 2, 2015. Check out the link for all of the cool things that you can get along with the game.
- Rumors are circulating that Beyond: Two Souls is the next game in line for an HD upgrade to PS4; it’s likely to be a Director’s Cut as well.
- A glitch in Madden NFL 15 would shrink Browns linebacker Christian Kirksey down to about one foot tall. Instead of fretting over the issue, EA has run with it and created a new challenge and a mockumentary to go along with.
- Sackboys are coming to PS Vita, iOS and Android sometime in October in promotion of LittleBigPlanet 3 with the free infinite runner Run Sackboy! Run!
- A new side-scrolling, action/adventure game based on the current Nick TMNT series has been announced.
- Resident Evil is getting another HD remake; the first one was 13 years ago. Here’s a trailer.
- Here’s what players can expect from Robin Williams’ WoW memorial.
- Nintendo showed off the first near-field communication Amiibo toys last week.
- Xbox One’s new update adds support for Smartglass features and USB media playback.
- The console is also making its way to 28 new countries this month.
- Microsoft is currently running a promotion through select retailers where, if you buy an Xbox One, you can also get a game of your choice. The deal runs until Sept. 13.
- Samsung has announced a partnership with Oculus that will result in a new VR headset for use with the Samsung Galaxy Note 4.
- To go along with the headset, Harmonix (developers of Rock Band) are creating VR music visualizer software called Harmonix Music VR.
These illustrations by James White are awesome.