Vol. 5, Issue 32
Howdy kids! Hope you’re having a good week so far. What the latest in nerdy news?
In movie news:
- The rumors of Chris Evans’ last role in a Marvel film might have been greatly exaggerated.
- Here’s some info on what we might see in Captain America 3.
- Michael Douglas will not wear an Ant-Man costume in Ant-Man.
- Dave Bautista will reprise the role of Drax in Guardians of the Galaxy 2 … and The Avengers 3?
- A few photos of the new Batmobile from Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice have been released this week, some from on set and one more official.
- Zack Snyder also released a jokey picture of a Stormtrooper getting arrested in Gotham after rumors circulated around the Internet that the Batmobile had been stolen from the set.
- Warner Bros. is interested in making a Legion of Superheroes movie due to the success of Guardians of the Galaxy.
- James McAvoy will star in X-Men: Apocalypse, and he’ll look a whole lot more like the Professor X we’re familiar with.
- Here’s a vaguely spoilery photo of Adam Driver on the set of Star Wars: Episode VII.
- Related: Here’s what Daisy Ridley’s character’s outfit might look like.
- Theo James has snagged the lead role in the Underworld reboot.
- Matt Damon is headed back to the Bourne franchise.
- Orlando Bloom might be back for Pirates of the Caribbean 5.
- Idris Elba and Dominic West have roles in Finding Dory. (I really love how the article makes a big deal that they starred together in The Wire … which is a far cry from Nemo.)
- Mugatu will be in Zoolander 2.
- Top Gun 2 has a writer.
- James Franco has optioned Chuck Palahniuk’s Rant.
- There will be a 23 Jump Street.
- A remake of I Know What You Did Last Summer is in the works.
Here are a couple of trailers:
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay–Part 1
Playing it Cool
And a couple of clips from the Captain America: The Winter Soldier gag reel:
In TV news:
- Might Nick Frost have a role in Doctor Who’s Christmas special?
- Agent Peggy Carter will have some sort of guest starring role in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Here’s a first look.
- And here’s a cast photo of the show’s main crew.
- This new Sherlock box-set comes with mini-busts of Holmes and Watson. (Thanks, Rebecca!)
- Book 4 of Legend of Korra will begin Oct. 3! Here's a preview. (Thanks, Colt!)
- Korra got a haircut for the new season, too.
- The Teen Titans could be getting their own live-action show.
- Gillian Anderson has been promoted to series regular for the next season of Hannibal.
- CBS will air an adaptation of Stephen King’s Things They Left Behind.
- Here’s a new shot of Rick Grimes from The Walking Dead.
- TNT is planning a Shooter series.
- HBO is considering a stand-alone HBO Go subscription service.
Here’s a preview for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.:
This Buffy poster by Florey is fantastic.
This Sherlock duo by Andy Fairhurst is really great, too.
In SCIENCE! and tech news:
- Europa has plate tectonics similar to Earth’s.
- Scientists have recorded the sound of a single atom. (Thanks, Colt.)
- An underground mapping project has revealed much more about Stonehenge and the surrounding area.
- Coffee naps—drinking a cuppa and then napping for 20 minutes—work better than naps or coffee alone.
- Anxiety drugs can lead to Alzheimer's.
- A woman in China has no cerebellum, and has surprisingly minimal side effects.
- Fennec foxes are adorable to look at, but they’re even cuter to watch, particularly when they’re as happy as this little dude.
Mondo released a few Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles posters last week by Tom Whalen, Rich Kelly, JC Richard and Andrew Kolb and inspired by various eras of TMNT.
The gallery will also be hosting a show for Batman’s 75th anniversary. Artist Seb Mednard will be showing these two adorably bittersweet pieces.
Bottleneck Gallery is hosting a new show featuring the art of 100% Soft, Glen Brogan and Russ Moore, including these pieces.
In gaming news, from TGG:
- Although Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor’s release date was previously moved up from mid-October to late-September, it turns out that was only for Xbox One and PS4 users. Xbox 360 and PS3 users will still have to wait an additional two months.
- The Walking Dead seasons 1 (including the 400 Days DLC) and 2 and The Wolf Among Us are coming to Xbox One and PS4 in disc form in October and November, respectively.
- Sega is celebrating the certified completion of Alien: Isolation with a series of vignettes about surviving in the game. Here’s the first one, which is an example of how to get killed without even realizing it.
- Spider-Man has a new infinite runner on iOS, Android and Windows phones called Spider-Man: Unlimited.
- Guild Wars 2’s playable narrative is set to continue with season 2, which will begin Nov. 4.
- Grand Theft Auto 5 is making the jump to Xbox One and PS4 Nov. 18; the long-awaited PC version will be released in early 2015.
- “Did You Know Gaming?” produced a video based around interesting Mass Effect facts and Easter eggs.
- Paul McCartney signed on to work on Bungie’s Destiny “for the creativity” and because he saw it as a good way to reach an audience that might not otherwise hear him (i.e., he did it all for free, for fun).
- Will Ferrell is offering one random fan the chance to take him on in an in-person video game competition that will be broadcast via Twitch. The only catch: He’s trying to raise $375,000 for a cancer charity via indiegogo and to be eligible to win, you have to donate.
- A programmer has developed a way to play Doom on a Canon Pixma printer.
- Rumors are floating around that Microsoft might be testing a new service that would allow users to play Xbox games via web browsers without a console.
- Here’s some info on what some of the improvements in the iPhone 6 and 6+ mean for gaming on the iPhone.
- Microsoft has purchased Mojang Studios, owners and creators of Minecraft, for $2.5 billion. The game will continue to be playable on all platforms.
- The first, limited-edition consumer versions of the Oculus Rift will be available sometime next year for around $200–$400.
This is great.
In misc. news:
- Funko is releasing a Frost Giant Loki POP at NYCC. (Thanks, Amanda!)
- They’ll also be releasing some cute Hobbit POPs, too, including a larger-than-normal Smaug.
- A set of the 50th Anniversary Doctor Who short stories will be released with fun paperback covers and a new story about the latest Doctor.
- A bunch of well-known authors are working on a time capsule of writing.
- A new app for iOS 8 will let you message in GIFs.