Vol. 5, Issue 34
Hey kids! Hope you’ve had a good start to your week. What’s up in the world of nerdy pop culture?
In movie news:
- Mark your calendars for Nov. 7: A trailer for The Avengers: Age of Ultron might be shown in front of Interstellar.
- Storm, Jean Grey and Cyclops will be recast for X-Men: Apocalypse.
- The DVD of X-Men Days of Future Past will feature a whole lot more of Rogue.
- The Fantastic Four reboot will have a different origin story than most are familiar with.
- William Shatner has confirmed that he’s been asked to be in Star Trek 3.
- Here are a couple of new photos from Fast & Furious 7.
- And some from The Hunger Games: Mockingjay–Part 1.
- Asa Butterfield (Ender’s Game) might be the star of the Tim Burton adaptation of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children.
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower author Stephen Chbosky is working on a script for a live action Beauty and the Beast.
- Game of Thrones stars Lena Headey and Charles Dance have both joined the cast of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.
- Speaking of Game of Thrones actors, Aiden Gillen will have a role in The Scorch Trials, the sequel to The Maze Runner.
- Taken 3—or Tak3n?—has a synopsis. Here’s a French poster for the film.
- Keanu Reeves is game for Speed 3.
- The long-talked about Y The Last Man adaptation is no more.
Here are a few trailers and a featurette:
All You Zombies
Big Hero 6
Kingsman: The Secret Service
In TV news:
- Here’s a first look at Adrianne Palicki as Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’s Mockingjay.
- Christopher Walken’s Captain Hook is a frightening thing to behold.
- You can watch a few unfinished episodes of The Clone Wars online.
- TNT has picked up Lumen, a show about “a famous author of a best-selling series of fantasy books who suddenly disappears and a family of four who are transported to the mystical alternate world that inspired her work,” from Steven Spielberg and Joe Johnston, director of Captain America.
- NBC is working on a “workplace comedy” Real Genius reboot.
Here are a couple of Legend of Korra previews (Thanks, Colt!):
Don't forget that the fourth (and final *sad*) season of Korra starts this Friday!
An animated Buffy would be amazing! (Thanks, Rebecca!)
In webseries news:
- Netflix is working on a Popples series. I still kick myself for getting rid of mine!
In misc. news:
- A model kit of Baby Groot is now available for pre-order.
- Also available for pre-order: These fantastic Mass Effect costume hoodies.
- Hot Toys’ Han Solo and Chewbacca are predictably spectacular.
- There is actually a burger, inspired by The Walking Dead, that supposedly tastes like human meat.
Han Solo, Star-Lord and Mal Reynolds walk into a bar …
In SCIENCE! and tech news:
- NASA has discovered water on a distant planet.
- What is this mysterious blob on Titan? (Thanks, Colt.)
- Speaking of water, half of Earth’s might be older than the sun.
- This new invisibility cloaking device works really well. (Thanks, Colt.)
- Scientists have created a T-1000-like liquid metal.
- This video of slow-motion tattooing is fascinating and a little stomach-turning. (Thanks, Colt.)
- Odd green balls of living algae have washed on-shore in Australia.
- Sea turtles sense the change of the seasons through their “skull skylight.”
- This is why old books smell like they do (i.e., super great).
So that’s how he stays so calm.
More adorable lil’ heroes art, this time from artist Richard Garcia.
In gaming news, from TGG:
- Blizzard has officially cancelled Titan. Rumors are that part of the reason it was cancelled was that it came too close to Destiny. According to the company, however, it was cancelled because it just wasn’t fun.
- Infinite Crisis has rolled out a pretty massive update with lots of tweaks to gameplay as well as two new characters: Nightmare Robin and Atomic Joker.
- The scary ghost girl from the recent Silent Hills playable trailer will have a small role in Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain.
- League of Legends is introducing new restrictions for players heavily downvoted by the community for bad behavior in games.
- The super over-the-top action/explosion game Sunset Overdrive set out to make a live-action trailer. It didn’t go so well.
- Defiance is getting a third season on SyFy, which is good news for players of the now free MMO.
- Nintendo will be holding Super Smash Bros. 3DS tournaments at 15 Gamestop locations across America, as well as the Nintendo World Store in New York Oct. 4. Signups are first-come first-serve.
This is just too cute. Yes, even with the whole fake murdering business.
And finally (Thanks, Colt.):
I’d SO watch Marvel’s Some Shopping Carts.