Vol. 5, Issue 28
Hey kids! Hope you’re having a good week so far. Let’s get going ...
In movie news:
- Sony is supposedly working on a Spider-Man movie with a female lead.
- Here’s some information (and a photo of Ben as Bruce) about what Batman’s been up to before Batman vs. Superman begins.
- Speaking of, the movie’s release date has been moved; it’ll now open March 25, 2016.
- DC has released their timeline of releases through 2020, but no titles as of yet.
- Galaxy Quest 2 isn’t entirely a lost cause. (Thanks, Colt!)
- The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug’s extended edition will be 25 minutes longer.
- Jon Favreau’s The Jungle Book just keeps getting better: Bill Murray has joined the cast; he’ll voice Baloo.
- Jennifer Lee (director of Frozen) is working on a new adaptation of A Wrinkle in Time.
- Terminator: Genesis is actually Terminator: Genisys. Your guess is as good as mine.
- Paul Feig (director of Bridesmaids) might be directing a female-centric Ghostbusters 3.
- The reboot of The Mummy will be the first movie in a new Universal monsters franchise.
- Snow White and the Huntsman sequel The Huntsman will now be a prequel, and will focus on the Huntsman and the evil queen.
- Carrie Brownstein (Portlandia) will finish the Lost in Austen movie Nora Ephron was working on before her passing.
- Ricky Gervais is working on an Office (U.K. version) spin-off movie.
- The Pride and Prejudice and Zombies adaptation isn’t dead yet.
- The Dead Island movie had been sort of shelved, but movement is being made to restart production in early 2015. (Thanks, Wes!)
Here are a couple of trailers:
The Expendables 3
Into the Woods
The Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier blooper reel has been released:
Some behind-the-scenes Guardians of the Galaxy videos have been released as well:
These fake movie posters starring Groot shouldn’t amuse me as much as they do, but I do what I want.
Love this mashup trailer. (Thanks, Rebecca!)
And these Easter egg round-ups are super helpful.
In TV news:
- The premiere dates for the networks’ fall season shows have been released.
- Madame Vastra is back in these new Doctor Who series 8 photos.
- Moffat wants to do more online content during the next series.
- Interested in the series 8 premiere in a theater? Here are more details.
- Gag reels for Community’s fifth season have been released (exclusively and non-embeddedly) on Yahoo.
- Here are some more photos of Once Upon a Time’s Frozen characters.
- John Stamos has joined ABC’s upcoming Galavant (the medieval musical show).
- James Corden (Doctor Who, Gavin and Stacey) might be replacing Craig Ferguson on The Late, Late Show.
Here are a couple of previews:
Star Wars: Rebels
In webseries news:
- Here’s a first look at Matt Murdoch in his lawyer costume (a.k.a. street clothes) from Netflix’s Daredevil series.
In misc. news:
- Funko has released a new line of POP! key chains. I hope they release more soon!
- Saga co-creator Fiona Staples has created an awesome cover variant illustration for the new Thor.
- George R.R. Martin is working on a Song of Ice and Fire children’s book.
- Think Geek is selling an exclusive Borg Cube mini-fridge.
- A Legend of Zelda Monopoly set will be available later this year, and Gamestop will be offering some pre-order bonuses. (Thanks, Wes.)
- Disney is working on plans for a Star Wars theme park.
I’m just gonna leave this here. (Thanks, Wes.)
In SCIENCE! and tech news:
- A space engine that was formerly considered an impossibility might actually work. (Thanks, Colt.)
- The Mars 2020 Rover just keeps getting more kitted out.
- NASA’s new spacecraft cockpit will have “Star Trek-like control panels.”
- Here are ten things you should know about Ebola.
- Stem cells have been found in the nerve cells of teeth.
- In keeping with Siberia’s mysterious sinkholes, a lake has suddenly appeared in Tunisia.
- Scientists might have figured out that whole Siberian issue, however.
- Thousands of transparent blue creatures have washed up on Californian shores recently.
- Related: Scientists can now make organisms transparent.
- Celestis Pets will launch the ashes of your dead pets into space.
Let Neil deGrasse Tyson illuminate you on how long you’d survive on other planets in our solar system:
In gaming news, from TGG:
- Guardians of the Galaxy skins are coming to Minecraft on Xbox 360.
- The full Halo and Mass Effect SDCC panels are now free-to-watch online.
- Resident Evil is getting a re-remake early next year for Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3 and PS4.
- Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor has a whole slew of retailer specific pre-order bonuses. Here’s a breakdown/guidance on where to buy.
- And here’s a new gameplay trailer for the game.
- Here’s a nice infographic about the Destiny beta.
- Zelda villain Ganondorf will be playable in Hyrule Warriors.
- No Man’s Sky will be made available on PC after its PS4 debut.
- Habitat—a game that asks players to ensure humanity’s survival by collecting junk in space and building livable ships out of it—has already been announced for Xbox One, PC, Mac and Linux; the game will also see a release on PS4. Expect it in 2015.
- Oort Online, which will be a large, multi-world, MMO about discovery through exploration, is being crowdfunded and crowd-developed (kind of).
- Double Action is a game full of fancy, slow-mo, John Woo-style action sequences. Here’s a trailer.
- Broforce is an over-the-top, explosion- and bullet-filled, 2D side-scrolling shooter. That said, it makes perfect sense that it would get tie-in Expendables 3 features. Here’s a trailer for the free Expendabros featuring Broney Ross, Bro Christmas, Bro Caesar and several other bro-ized cast members.
- Three volumes of songs from the original Mega Man games are now available on iTunes or Amazon.
- USA Now and Syfy Now apps are coming to Xbox Live to provide on-demand streaming of those networks’ content.
- Gamestop is revamping its trade-in system.