Vol. 5, Issue 26
Today is the first day of San Diego Comic Con (SDCC) … and I am not there, sadly. I hope that if you are there, that you’re having a great time. (And reading this after the event is over. Or while standing in line.) If you’re like me, however, you can be sure I’ll be sharing links to roundups in next week’s Nerd News. Let’s console ourselves with some links.
In movie news:
- Here are a few more character posters—this time for the villains—for Guardians of the Galaxy.
- Details on the movie’s cameos have also been leaked.
- These 12 facts, supposedly, about GotG won’t be in the movie.
- Robert Downey Jr. would be open to an Iron Man 4.
- Marvel announced five released dates—but no movie titles—this week, then added another for 2018. According to Kevin Feige, they’re planning on a “one sequel, one new character per year” calendar. (Thanks, Rebecca!)
- Sony’s Sinister Six movie will be released Nov. 11, 2016.
- Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson recently confirmed he’ll be playing a DC superhero, but what role he’ll embody has yet to be revealed.
- Donate to charity and you could get a walk-on role in Star Wars: Episode VII. (Thanks, Rebecca.)
- Christina Chong (24: Live Another Day) has joined the movie. Here’s a bit more information about the film as a whole, and Gwendolyn Christie and John Boyega’s roles. (Possible spoilers, natch. I didn’t actually read the last three links so as to not spoil myself.)
- Smaug is looking pretty peeved in this new The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies poster.
- And here’s a new photo featuring Gandalf and Thranduil’s back.
- A new poster for and some more photos from Mad Max: Fury Road have been released.
- Idris Elba is in talks to join the Guy Richie-directed Knights of the Roundtable: King Arthur retelling.
- The first photo from the upcoming live action/CGI hybrid movie Pixels features a mulleted Peter Dinklage.
- The lead single—a rap song, natch—from the upcoming Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie has been released. (Thanks, Wes!)
- The Uncharted movie will begin filming in 2015.
- There’s a Space Invaders movie in the works. (Thanks, Wes.)
- Paddington Bear will now be voiced by Ben Whishaw (Skyfall).
- The Shining prequel has a director.
- Pirates of the Caribbean 5 will open July 7, 2017.
Here are a few trailers/clips/20 minutes of the new TMNT:
Guardians of the Galaxy
The Imitation Game
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
We have absolutely no room on our walls, but I want all the GotG art. Including this poster by Matt Needles:
And these IMAX posters by Marko Manev:
Ant Man concept art posters will be given out at SDCC.
The promo for The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 is really kicking it up a notch or ten with this awesome SDCC propaganda-style poster:
In TV news:
- Doctor Who’s upcoming eighth series will recreate an iconic Who image.
- Supernatural’s 200th episode will be … musical-ish. (Thanks, Rebecca.)
- Lucy Lawless (Xena: Warrior Princess) has joined Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- Check out these details on the supporting characters on Agent Carter.
- DC Comics’ TV shows and movies will remain separate, or so says Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns.
- Here’s a first look at Arrow’s Roy Harper as Arsenal. And here are some details on what’s to come during the show’s third season.
- Speaking of, here’s a full description for The Flash.
- Wentworth Miller (Prison Break, Dinotopia) will play Captain Cold on the show.
- And here are some new photos from Gotham. The series will also involve an older Harvey Dent and Dr. Hugo Strange.
- Five episodes of The Legend of Korra have been pulled from the series’ third season, for reasons unknown.
- Details on Once Upon a Time’s Frozen arc have been revealed.
- Neil Patrick Harris would like to be on American Horror Story.
- New photos from The Walking Dead’s fifth season have been released.
- There’s a new Rainbow Brite in the works. Emily Osment (Hannah Montana) will voice the lead.
- Disney is working on a Haunted Mansion animated special.
Here is a trailer for Star Wars: Rebels:
The Queen’s Guard also enjoys a little Game of Thrones.
In webseries/gaming system series news:
- Deborah Ann Woll (True Blood) has signed on to play the lead in Netflix’s upcoming Daredevil series.
- Susan Heyward (The Following, 30 Rock) will play lead lady Deena Pilgrim in Sony Playstation’s Powers series.
- Microsoft has shut down Xbox Entertainment Studios.. The company will still be working on Halo: Nightfall, however.
- Speaking of which, the protagonist of the Halo: Nightfall series has been revealed; his name is Agent Locke. (Thanks, Wes.)
- There’s a new Mortal Kombat series in the works—Mortal Kombat Legends: A HIstory of Blood—that takes a look at the plot behind the game.
- On July 28, Naughty Dog will host The Last of Us: One Night Live, a stage production/stage reading. It’s happening in L.A., but the performance will also be streamed via Twitch, YouTube and the PSN. (Thanks, Wes.)
In SCIENCE! and tech news:
- NASA’s newest telescopes could spot extraterrestrial life within 20 years.
- Their new Mars rover is pretty fantastic, too.
- The agency and Canada have teamed up to intercept a possibly dangerous asteroid.
- More than 100 genes with links to schizophrenia have been identified.
- A parasite commonly found in cats might be an effective cancer vaccine once modified.
- A new study has discovered neurons in mice that might be part of the cause of asthma.
- Australia has approved HIV-killing condoms.
- That crazy sinkhole I posted about last week? There’s an icy lake at the bottom.
- This tree grows 40 different kinds of fruit.
- This is hard to comprehend, but if you fold a piece of paper in half and then in half and then in half (etc.) 103 times, it will be as thick as the universe.
- A British scientist has created the world’s largest fart machine … which he will point at France.
This optical illusion is crazy. (Thanks, Colt!)
In gaming news, from TGG:
- Dragon Age: Inquisition has been pushed back by about six weeks and will now be released Nov. 21.
- The new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie is getting a free Xbox Kinect downloadable tie-in game called TMNT: Training Lair. The game hits the Xbox Live Marketplace this week.
- Bungie’s Destiny will no longer include cross-platform play.
- GameStop will have exclusive Batman: Arkham Knight DLC in the form of "The Red Hood" story missions.
- The North American cover art for FIFA 15 has been revealed: Clint Dempsey stands alongside Argentina’s Lionel Messi.
- Here’s a look at the Disney Infinity 2.0 collector’s edition for Sony platforms, featuring all of the Avengers and a Frost Beast statue/display.
- Disney Infinity 2.0 (the regular edition) is also getting a Guardians of the Galaxy pack.
- Sims 4 will introduce a “Premium Subscription” service for the upcoming game; here’s 20 minutes of gameplay
- Majestic Nights, an “alternate 1980’s RPG” in which you control an intelligence operative and a private detective to uncover that our most well known conspiracies are true, will be episodic in nature. The free “Episode 0” will be released in September and cover the Moon landing.
- Atari has announced a new game called Pridefest in which players create their own LGBT-themed parades.
- Wes describes new game Push Me Pull You as CatDog, but with people … and he’s right. Check out the link for creepy GIFs and a trailer.
- A brave soul is working on recreating Star Wars: A New Hope in Minecraft. Here’s a trailer.
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time has been beaten in 18 minutes. (Also at the link, someone beating Metroid Prime in 55 minutes.)
- The Dota 2 International competition streamed this past weekend on ESPN3, and the finals were broadcast on ESPN2. Team Newbee won the tournament and took home a $5 million prize.
- A YouTuber has managed to recreate the main theme to Banjo-Kazooie.
Yesterday was Batman Day. Here’s a bear who celebrates all year round.
In misc. news:
- Here’s the new Avengers lineup, featuring the female Thor and the Falcon in his new Captain America role. (Thanks, Rebecca.)
- Fight Club is back—in comic form.
- Orphan Black is being turned into a comic series, too.
- And Princess Leia is getting a comic book as well.
- The Rocket Raccoon and Groot Hot Toys action figures are, unsurprisingly, fabulous looking.
- The Hot Toys Marty McFly is impressive, too.
- Mondo has added another product to its line. The company will be selling pop culture toys now, including an amazing Iron Giant figurine.
- The gallery will also host a new show in October celebrating 75 years of Batman.
- Speaking of, NECA has announced their next 8-bit tribute release, and it’s an homage to the 1989 Batman video game based on the Tim Burton film. (Thanks, Wes.)
- And, ever wonder what Batman would look like if he were in a Final Fantasy game? Wonder no more: Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts designer Tetsuya Nomura has created an interpretation of the Dark Knight. A statue of the "pretty terrifying design" will be on display at this year’s SDCC. (Thanks, Wes.)
- Her Universe will be debuting new items at SDCC, including a Loki dress I might need.
- Vans has released new shoes in their Star Wars collaboration line. (Thanks, Rebecca.)
Love this Justice League illustration by Tyler Champion.
This video by former Disney animator Glen Keane is gorgeous. (Thanks, Rebecca.)