Vol. 5, Issue 25
Hey guys! Sorry again for the lack of Nerd News last week. Projects tend to pile up when I’m away from the computer for a few days! Let’s get going.
In TV news:
- The first photo from Doctor Who’s season premiere is very Victorian.
- Brandon Routh (Superman Returns, Chuck) has joined Arrow; he’ll be playing The Atom. Robbie Amell (The Tomorrow People) has also joined the show. He’ll play Firestorm.
- Gotham will introduce a potential Joker each episode. WARNING: There is a freaky illustration of the joker at the link.
- Carol Kane (The Princess Bride, Annie Hall) will be playing Oswald Cobblepot’s mom.
- Orphan Black has been renewed for a third season.
- Guillermo del Toro has released some more information about the Pacific Rim animated series.
- Thomas Jane has grabbed the starring role in SyFy’s The Expanse, a new show based on James S. A. Corey's books.
- Christopher Walken will play a “tap-dancing Captain Hook” in NBC’s live musical version of Peter Pan. (Thanks, Rebecca!)
Here are a few promo videos and a featurette:
SyFy’s 12 Monkeys
Doctor Who (Thanks, Rebecca.)
This fake old Japanese Doctor Who parody … thing … is both weird and awesome. (Thanks, Colt!)
In webseries news:
- The Reading Rainbow Kickstarter ended at just over $5.4 million. That means, in addition to a web series, the show will also find its way onto consoles “like Xbox and Playstation.” (Thanks, Wes!)
- In December, the PSN will be debuting Powers, a new live-action series based on the comic of the same name. All users will be able to watch the first episode for free, while PS+ members can watch the entire series free. (Thanks, Wes.)
In movie news:
- The first official photos from The Avengers: Age of Ultron have been released. Here’s a glimpse at Ultron’s look (Thanks, Colt.) and then, CHECK OUT THIS SMIRK:
I want to be at that party. Did y'all notice Mjolnir just chilling amidst the takeout boxes?
- Here are a bunch of new promo photos—set 1, set 2—an official poster and character posters for Yondo, Nova Ray and Corpsman Dey from Guardians of the Galaxy.
- An extended, director’s cut version of X-Men: Days of Future Past that possibly features more of Anna Paquin’s Rogue (#blech) will be released.
- The Spider-Man franchise might be in trouble.
- Batman vs. Superman might be as full of villains as it is of heroes.
- Filming for Star Wars: Episode VII took two weeks off because Harrison, and two new unknown actors have been cast in as-yet-undetermined roles.
- Fast & Furious 7 has wrapped filming. And they’ve written about it in a letter that’s a little bit heartbreaking. The movie’s release date has also been bumped up, from April 10, 2015, to April 3.
- The official synopsis for The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies has been released.
- Mowgli has been cast for the live action/CGI hybrid, Jon Favreau-helmed Jungle Book.
- Disney is planning a live-action Dumbo film.
- Here’s a look at Sir Ian McKellan in a new Sherlock Holmes role.
- Elle Fanning has been cast in a lead role in an adaptation of the Neil Gaiman short story “How to Talk to Girls at Parties.”
- Alec Baldwin might have a role in Mission: Impossible 5.
- Here are some new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle motion posters.
- The writers of X-Men: First Class will be working on the new Power Rangers movie, which means it might actually be good?
Here are some trailers and teasers:
Big Hero 6
Exodus: Gods and Kings
Guardians of the Galaxy
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay–Part 1
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Thanks, Wes.)
The Zero Theorem
And here’s an awesome viral promotion for Guardians of the Galaxy:
These watercolors by Clementine Campardou are so great.
In misc. news:
- The new Thor is … a badass-looking lady. Here’s what the traditional Thor thinks about it. (Thanks, Rebecca.)
- Falcon will be taking on the mantle of Captain America in a new series.
- The redesign of Batgirl is pretty dang awesome.
- Doctors 10 and 11 will be getting new companions in their new comics.
- A four-issue TMNT/Ghostbusters crossover comic will be released this October to celebrate both franchises’ 30th anniversaries. (Thanks, Wes.)
- Archie Andrews will die trying to protect his gay friend.
- Marvel will soon be releasing a Star Wars: The Original Marvel Years comic omnibus.
- Mondo will be releasing a vinyl of the Batman: The Animated Series music at SDCC.
- Also at SDCC: This years Assassin’s Creed panel will feature an animated short based on the new game, Assassin’s Creed: Unity, presented by Rob Zombie. (Thanks, Wes.)
- George R. R. Martin says “eff you” to fans who think he won’t finish the Song of Ice and Fire series.
- Here are some spoilery details on the next book, however.
- Nickelodeon has revealed their plans for SDCC this year, including lots of TMNT stuff. (Thanks, Wes.)
- MAC is releasing a line of Simpsons-inspired makeup. (Thanks, Rebecca.)
- Homestar Runner is having a resurgence.
- These Guardians of the Galaxy Halloween costumes are a bit frightening.
- Over the next month-ish, Barnes and Nobles across the land will celebrate pop-culture.
These mashups are fantastic.
In SCIENCE! and tech news:
- Here are 10 scientific myths that most people believe, including the “fact” that humans only use 10% of their brains.
- A giant sinkhole has appeared in an area of Siberia with a name that translates to “the end of the world.”
- Scientists have translated some words and phrases of chimpanzee “language.”
- Two male penguins in Kent, England, have adopted an abandoned baby chick.
- Some plants can hear themselves being eaten.
- This new finger device can read normal texts to blind people.
- Here’s the science behind why eyes seems to glow in the dark.
- Elon Musk has donated $1 million to the “build a Tesla museum” fund.
- Vantablack is a new product that reflects a world record-breaking 99.965% of visible light.
- Preserved brain matter has been found in an 8,000-year-old skull.
This superhero photography series by Benoit Lapray is bittersweet and beautiful. (Thanks, Rebecca.)
In gaming news:
- Leliana will make an appearance in Dragon Age: Inquisition. BioWare recently did a Q&A session during which they dropped a bunch of specifics about the game; here’s 16 minutes of gameplay, in case you want to spoil the game for yourselves.
- According to the official Lego Batman Twitter account, Adam West might be making a cameo in Lego Batman 3 as himself.
- Pre-order bonuses for Alien: Isolation will allow players to complete missions as some of the crew of the original film, including Ellen Ripley.
- Here’s a new behind-the-scenes trailer for Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor featuring the familiar face of Gollum.
- More characters than the Marvel superheros will be added to Disney Infinity 2.0 this fall; here’s a trailer featuring Tinkerbell and Stitch.
- Halo: The Master Chief Collection has a new trailer focusing on his alien buddy, The Arbiter.
- Players who pre-order Bungie’s new game Destiny will receive three beta codes for the console of their choice. The beta launches July 17 for PS3/PS4 and July 24 for Xbox 360/Xbox One for anyone with a pre-order. (The game’s actual release date is Sept. 9.) Here’s a launch trailer.
- Bungie has also released a video showing off, in detail, the various special editions of Destiny.
- Additionally, the game is also getting a companion app, which will expand on the lore and storyline.
- Need some pointers for surviving Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel? Handsome Jack is here to help.
- The Wolf Among Us is coming to an end this week; here’s a trailer for the final episode.
- Civilization: Beyond Earth will be released Oct. 24.
- Gigantic is a new free, online game coming from some of the makers of StarCraft and Guild Wars.
- The Sims 4 won’t be including pools or the toddler life-stage when it ships this September.
- Here’s the opening cinematic to Sunset Overdrive, plus a video featuring about eight minutes of gameplay. Related: Mondo is producing an awesome poster for the game.
- Here’s a trailer for Battleborn, a first-person battle arena style game set in a fantasy sci-fi universe in which players are trying to repel a “consuming, evil force in order to save the universe’s last star.”
- Overland is an upcoming survival game about a group of people in a post-apocalyptic world, but the important thing, Wes says, “is that they never become heroes. Instead they just survive.”
- The Elder Scrolls Renewal Project, Skywind, is moving forward quite and has released a video of their progress. (The project’s goal is to recreated Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind using the Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim engine.)
- Someone has beaten Fallout 3, which Wes estimates is a 10–12 hour game if you’re just sticking to the main story, in 23 minutes.
- Kinect 2.0 is no longer a requirement for Xbox One, but it is now an option for PC gamers.
- Some video services are having issues on Xbox Live. Microsoft has acknowledged the problem and are working on a fix.
- Japan is getting a limited edition Frozen-themed PS4.
- In this episode of Kids React, a bunch of kids age 6 to 13 were shown an original Game Boy. It’s as depressing as you might think.
- Former Panamanian dictator Manuel Noriega is not happy with how he was portrayed in Call of Duty: Black Ops 2. As a result, he’s suing Activision for damages.
I found an item as well: Bioware wants your feedback on their games.