Vol. 5, Issue 23
Heya kids! Another week, a new set of news! Got some good stuff for you this week, so let's jump in.
In TV news:
- Legend of Korra: Book 3 will premiere TOMORROW night!
- Sad news: Hulu won’t be continuing Community’s run.
- Gotham’s already full of Bat villains, but Mr. Freeze might make an appearance at some point, too. Here are some new character posters.
- Here’s an update on when/if Lady Stoneheart will appear on Game of Thrones.
- Breaking Bad spinoff Better Call Saul hasn’t begun yet, but it’s already been promised a second season.
- Lifetime will be airing The Unauthorized Saved by the Bell Story this Labor Day.
Here’s a featurette for The Flash:
These minimalist Game of Thrones illustrations are great.
In webseries news:
- Rosario Dawson has joined the Netflix Daredevil show.
- The Wachowskis are working on a new series for Netflix called SENSE8. The cast and plot of the new show have recently been revealed.
- This week’s PBS Game Show focuses on Net Neutrality. (Thanks, Wes!)
In movie news:
- This is huge: Nathan Fillion will have a cameo in Guardians of the Galaxy. He won’t be playing Nova, but he might be playing [REDACTED]. (Do not click that link if you want to avoid spoilers.)
- Here are some new photos from the film.
- Want to know who will likely be the Ant-Man villain?
- The latest actor rumored to be up for the role of Doctor Strange is … Edgar Ramirez (Zero Dark Thirty, The Bourne Ultimatum).
- The next stand-alone Batman movie will possibly be called The Batman and will be released in 2019.
- Star Wars VII is still on hold due to the fact that Harrison Ford broke his leg (not his ankle); the movie might now not be released until 2016.
- New rumors about the movie include: Tom Cruise will have a cameo role, and Mandalorians might make an appearance.
- Rian Johnson (director of Looper) will be directing Star Wars VIII and working on the script for IX.
- Star Trek 3 will likely be released in 2016, during the show’s 50th anniversary.
- The cast of The Expendables 3 is ginormous(ly awesome), and most of them are featured on this new promo banner.
- The July 4 issue of Entertainment Weekly features a look at Tom Hardy and a bald Charlize Theron from Mad Max: Fury Road.
- New character posters for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles’ Leonardo, Donatello, Raphael and Michelangelo have been released.
- Pixar’s next short will be called Lava. It’s “inspired by the isolated beauty of tropical islands and the explosive allure of ocean volcanoes.”
- Shane Black (director of Iron Man 3) will be working on a Predator reboot, but he says it’ll actually be a sequel.
- The Avengers, X-Men 2 and The Incredible Hulk writer Zac Penn will be working on the adaptation of Ernest Cline’s Ready Player One.
- Ben Kingsley has joined Jon Favreau’s Jungle Book. He’ll be voicing Bagheera, natch.
- The reboot of WarGames is still kicking around.
- The Dead Rising video game series is getting a feature film adaptation, but it will be a straight-to-Crackle release. (Crackle is Sony’s video streaming service.) (Thanks, Wes.)
- Bruce Campbell would be interested in working on an “Expendables of Horror.” (Thanks, Rebecca!)
Here are a few trailers:
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
After watching that, you might need to watch this—sadly, fan-made—TMNT trailer to make your childhood un-die a little. (Thanks, Wes.)
The new Mockingjay Part 1 posters are fantastic.
Yet another awesome GotG fan poster, this one from Vincent Rhafael.
Bottleneck Gallery has announced three new additions to Cuyler Smith’s “Cut Short” series.
In SCIENCE! and tech news:
- A never before seen dinosaur with a “winged” skull structure has been discovered.
- A record-setting Apatosaurus femur—6' 7" long—has also been dug up.
- Migaloo, the all-white humpback whale, was recently spotted near Australia.
- So much ice has been lost in the Arctic that atlases need to be updated.
- Staring at a computer for more than seven hours a day has an effect on your eyes’ moisture levels.
- A quadriplegic man has moved his arm thanks to a brain implant. (Thanks, Rebecca.)
I’m not sure what this style of art is called, but I like it! These latest illustrations are from Kate Jones.
In gaming news, from TGG:
- Freddie Prinze, Jr. will voice a Qunari mercenary by the name of Iron Bull in Dragon Age: Inquisition.
- Looking forward to Destiny? If you preorder now, you'll be able to access the Xbox beta in late July.
- Check out the E3 preview of Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain.
- Here’s a new trailer for the upcoming Link action/adventure game Hyrule Warriors.
- You can check out a seven-minute developer preview of the PS4 exclusive No Man’s Sky, an upcoming sci-fi exploration game that’s been kept pretty well under wraps thus far, here, and at this link, you can read a write-up of the E3 preview for the game and watch a shorter gameplay trailer. Pretty!
- An Xbox 360 modder has made it possible to play Grand Theft Auto 5 in first person.
- Sunset Overdrive will reportedly feature a wide range of playing female characters, as well as no restrictions on character customization and all the clothing will be gender neutral.
- According to Wes, “Primal Rage was the most awesome fighting game for a kid growing up in the 90’s. It had all the blood and gore of Mortal Kombat, but with dinosaurs and giant apes. You could even kill another player by sending a fart cloud his way or peeing acid blood on him!” A playable build of the long rumored sequel has popped up in an arcade in Illinois.
- Conan O’Brien went to E3 this year, and the results were predictably hilarious.
- A Joystiq writer tried out Alien: Isolation with an Oculus Rift VR headset at E3 and soon realized that you cannot cover your eyes while wearing such technology.
- Xbox One users can now view/share/brag on achievements online.
- Chicago’s Robert Morris University is offering scholarships for their eSports varsity League of Legends team, making them the first school to offer scholarships for eSports.
I found an item, too: A Legend of Korra game will soon be available for consoles and PCs.
One last “Let it Go” parody …
Honor your favorite Super Mario villains with this poster set from Christopher Lee.* (Thanks, Wes.)
*No, not that Christopher Lee.
In misc. news:
- A new collection of classic Wonder Woman newspaper comic strips will soon be released.
- Love these marshmallow-splattered SDCC-exclusive Ghostbusters POPs.
- NECA is creating a Master Chief motorcycle helmet. (Thanks, Wes.)
- More photos from the Diagon Alley Wizarding World of Harry Potter expansion have been released. And here’s a video of the “working wands” at the park.
- Newsies is closing its run on Broadway, but the show will be going on a statewide tour.
- Get to know 17 different British accents in this fun video.
Harry Potter Rap!
Etsy artist Ginger ZAP has a very unique style. (Thanks, Rebecca.)