Vol. 5, Issue 20
Hey friends! Did you miss
In movie news:
- Josh Brolin will voice Thanos in Guardians of the Galaxy, but how much of the character we’ll actually see remains to be seen.
- Edgar Wright has left Ant Man. This might be an indication that all is not well at Marvel Studios?
- Here are some details on future X-Men movies, including X-Men: Apocalypse and Gambit.
- The Doctor Strange movie has a director.
- Wonder Woman’s costume in Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice might include pants and a jacket.
- Gareth Edwards (director of Godzilla) will be directing one of the Star Wars standalone films. Josh Trank (director of Chronicle) will, too.
- Here’s a look at one of the new beasts from Star Wars: Episode VII, along with a glimpse of, possibly, the Millennium Falcon.
- Has the new Star Wars canon already begun?
- Latin-American singer Romeo Santos has joined Fast & Furious 7.
- Beauty and the Beast will be the next Disney animated classic to get the live-action treatment. Bill Condon (director of both parts of The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn) will direct.
- Alfonso Cuaron will not direct Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them after all.
- The three-finger salute from The Hunger Games is being used as a sign of rebellion in Thailand.
- Eight clips for How To Train Your Dragon 2 can be viewed here.
- Here’s an image of a leaked map of Isla Nubar from Jurassic World and a glimpse at the uniforms. Also, here are some details on the plot.
- Rumor of the week: Robert Pattinson will take over the role of Indiana Jones.
- Rhys Ifans has joined the cast of the Alice in Wonderland sequel; he’ll play the Mad Hatter’s (Johnny Depp's) dad.
- Production has wrapped on Warcraft. Ben Foster will be playing a character named Medivh. (Thanks, Wes!)
- Pixar’s next movie, Inside Out, has a synopsis.
- Remakes of Cliffhanger and Stargate—which will be a trilogy—are in the works.
- Jupiter Ascending has been pushed back to February 2015.
Here are a whole slew of trailers:
Big Hero 6
The Book of Life
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Guardians of the Galaxy
Left Behind (I couldn't help myself.)
Magic in the Moonlight
These fan-made X-Men: Days of Future Past posters are fabulous.
I like how Andy Fairhurst’s illustrations focus more on the films' secondary characters.
In TV news:
- The BBC thought David Tennant and Benedict Cumberbatch “weren’t attractive enough for audiences.” YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH, BBC.
- Constantine won’t air until October.
- The Flash has been cast as the Flash’s dad in The Flash.
- Here are some of the new characters that might be in Game of Thrones’ fifth season. And here are a few more.
- Django Unchained might be recut into a four-hour miniseries.
- A second season of Penny Dreadful has been ordered.
- Marilyn Manson has joined the next season of Sons of Anarchy.
Here are a few previews:
Sailor Moon Crystal
And here’s a very short, very teasery Doctor Who series 8 teaser. (Thanks, Rebecca!)
This fanmade one is SO much better.
Mondo released these beautiful Hannibal posters recently.
In webseries news:
- Hulu might be interested in creating more Community.
- There have been changes for the upcoming Daredevil series: Drew Goddard is out as showrunner, and Steve DeKnight (creator of Spartacus) is in; Charlie Cox (Stardust, Boardwalk Empire) will star.
- Wet Hot American Summer might be turned into a series.
- The entire Street Fighter web series is available on YouTube. (Thanks, Wes.)
And here’s the premiere episode of Spooked, the latest show from Geek & Sundry:
G&S totally stole this idea from TGG, his wife, the Mister and I, but WHATEVS.
In SCIENCE! and tech news:
- A “Godzilla” Earth has been discovered.
- Are all black holes shaped like doughnuts?
- This video shows seven years of meteor showers in two minutes.
- Space X 2.0 has been revealed.
- Humans are driving animal species to extinction at alarming rates.
- Apple has announced new iOSes. Here are some of the details.
- This cute little R2D2 projects an infrared Bluetooth keyboard.
- The Secret Service is looking for software that will detect sarcasm on the Internet.
- Rumors are starting to fly that VR company Oculus is working on a new version of its Oculus Rift headset that work with Samsung phones. (Thanks, Wes.)
Darren Rawlings has made it clear that Marvel and DC are more similar than one might realize. (Thanks, Rebecca.)
More awesome cosplay ideas from artist Andrés Moncayo:
Dan Hipp knows how to hit us right in the feels.
In gaming news, from TGG:
- Maleficent has been announced for Disney Infinity 2.0.
- New screenshots for Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix have been released.
- The Order: 1886 has been delayed until 2015. But here’s a short video preview to tide you over.
- This video preview for Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor explains about the Nemesis system that controls the allegiances of enemies in the game, and this story trailer showcases some of the voice talent, including Troy Baker and Nolan North.
- Borderlands fans: Check out this video, which is 15 minutes of Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel gameplay narrated by the developers.
- Here are a few trailers for The Wolf Among Us: Episode 4, Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham and Sims 4.
- Minecraft is making its way to PS4, Xbox One and PS Vita this August.
- Conan’s "Clueless Gamer" segment is back with an attempt to play Watch Dogs.
- The Ubisoft team tried to create the most authentic version of Chicago they could in Watch Dogs. (View a launch trailer.) The company also caused quite a stir in Australia when they sent out “beeping” promotional packages for the game to a news station.
- Nintendo has revealed a GameCube controller adapter for the Wii U Smash Bros.
- Valve has sort of ambiguously implied that Steam Machines will be delayed until next year.
- Sony has decided to broadcast its E3 press event to 40 theaters across the nation.
- The Did You Know Gaming? series has released a video chronicling the history of the Gameboy.
- If the Reading Rainbow Kickstarter hits $5 million, they’ll expand the platforms it will be available on to include mobile phones and game consoles.
- IndieBox, a new computer game subscription service, provides subscribers with a random deluxe edition game for Windows, Mac and Linux, along with other goodies, for $15 a month.
- The New Mexico Museum of Space History is looking to sell 700 of the 1,300 Atari E.T. game cartridges dug up last month once they’ve been appraised and issued certificates of authenticity.
Vivianne du Bois’ Disney babies are adorable. Her Wonder Woman is also super cute.
This is hilarious.
In misc. news:
- Neil Patrick Harris wrote a memoir, and it looks amazing.
- Fragments of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy have been found, and they will be published.
- George R. R. Martin is now saying that the Song of Ice and Fire series will likely be eight books before all is said and done.
- Is Marvel cancelling the Fantastic Four comics to spite Fox (and the movie)?
- Archie comics have introduced a new character, Harper, who’s in a wheelchair.
- Disney stores will soon stock Princess Leia merchandise (and rightly so).
- The latest Funko POP! vinyl figurines to be announced are for True Blood characters.
- These Guardian of the Galaxy mystery mini figurines are super cute.
- Mattel will introduce a Baby Skeletor doll. Uh?
- LEGO will be releasing “women in science” sets this summer.
- Tired of traveling by train or car? Google Maps will let you choose dragon as a mode of transportation.