Vol. 5, Issue 13
Heya nerds! It’s been a busy week IRL. Let’s make things better with interesting information I have found on the Internet!
In TV news:
- Did you watch this week’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.? Spoiler alert: Supposedly, some stuff went down thanks to what happened in Captain America: The Winter Soldier. (We finally started catching up last night.)
- Ben Miller (Primeval) will have a role on one of the episodes of Doctor Who written by Mark Gatiss. Also at the link, a bunch of what the Mary Sue calls “Moffatsplaining,” or “giving an explanation that’s far less helpful than the speaker thinks it is.” Perfection.
- Game of Thrones has been renewed for seasons five and six.
- Syfy has ordered 13 episodes of a new zombie show called Z Nation, which “is set three years after a zombie virus has obliterated much of humanity, and our ragtag protagonists are transporting the one person who appears to be immune to the virus; their hope is that if they can get him from New York to California, where the last remaining laboratory exists, they'll be able to develop a vaccine based on his miraculous antibodies.”
- The channel has also greenlit the 12 Monkeys series and Olympus, a series that “centers on how a few brave men and women banished the gods to the realm of the unconscious: a place they called the Underworld, or the Kingdom of Hades.”
- The Big Bang Theory and The Goldbergs will be getting Star Wars-themed episodes to celebrate Star Wars Day (May 4).
- Benedict Cumberbatch will star as Richard III in a new BBC Two Shakespeare adaptation.
- You can watch the first seven minutes of Fargo, if you’re so inclined.
- How I Met Your Mother will be getting an alternate series ending when the last season is released on DVD.
- A&E has renewed Bates Motel for a third season.
- The Truman Show might be getting the TV treatment.
There have been more than 5,000 deaths so far in Game of Thrones. Here’s a video of all of them.
Olly Moss has drawn some super adorable Game of Thrones characters.
In webseries news: Michael C. Hall (Dexter) totally wouldn’t mind playing Daredevil.
In movie news:
- Here’s an explanation of the Captain America: The Winter Soldier post (not mid) credits scene.
- And here’s a massive roundup of all of the Easter eggs and references in Cap 2.
- Grain of salt: Nathan Fillion might have a role in Guardians of the Galaxy.
- DC’s Sinister Six movie will be directed by
Joss Whedon’s friendDrew Goddard (Cabin in the Woods).
- Peter Mayhew has officially signed on to reprise his role as Chewbacca in Star Wars: Episode VII.
- Speaking of, it turns out that the movie has already—secretly—started filming, and Tatooine will be visited in the film.
- You can watch the entirety of the 2004 documentary Empire of Dreams: The Story of the Star Wars Trilogy online.
- Gwendoline Christie (Game of Thrones) has joined The Hunger Games: Mockingjay; she’ll replace Lily Rabe as Commander Lyme.
- Chiwetel Ejiofor might be the new Bond villain in Bond 24.
- Disney is working on a Wreck-It Ralph sequel.
- Here’s a look at the first poster for the new adaptation of The Little Prince.
- The Goonies sequel is (supposedly) happening whether we like it or not. (Thanks, Rebecca!)
- The Pete’s Dragon and Gremlins reboots are moving forward as well.
- There’s a Battlestar Galactica movie in the works.
- Judy Greer (Archer), Katie McGrath (Merlin) and Lauren Lapkus (Orange is the New Black) have joined Jurassic World.
- Funny ladies Tina Fey and Amy Poehler will play sisters in a new movie called The Nest.
- Vertigo comic series FBP: Federal Bureau of Physics—a series about a team of first responders who deal with quantum physics disturbances—is being turned into a movie.
- Microsoft and 343 Games have made a vague announcement that some sort of digital feature will be released this year. (Thanks, Wes!)
Here's a new trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy:
This Guardians of the Galaxy fan poster by Matt Ferguson is awesome.
These teaser posters for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are deceptively cool. (Thanks, Wes.)
Mondo and Matt Taylor have created a lovely The Amazing Spider-Man 2 poster for IMAX showings.
In misc. news:
- Celebrate nine years since Nine (a.k.a. the reign of the Ninth Doctor) with these great Doctor Who wallpapers featuring Nine, Rose and Jack Harkness.
- Universal is working on a Fast & Furious ride.
- Archie is being killed off in the Archie comics.
- A Rocket Raccoon and Groot prose novel will be hitting bookshelves in July.
- LEGO has released images of upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy sets.
- For only $7,000, you can own a life-size version of Han Solo in Carbonite. Pre-orders open today!
- HSN has partnered with Disney and will be releasing merchandise based on upcoming Disney movies Maleficent, Cinderella and The Hundred-Foot Journey.
- Conan O’Brien will film from San Diego during Comic Con 2015.
These DC superhero pinup posters are fantastic. (Thanks, Amanda!)
This Adam Lister Wonder Woman is great, too.
In SCIENCE! and tech news:
- A new implant can help paralyzed patients regain partial use of their legs.
- How scary would it be to be skydiving and nearly get hit by a meteor?! (Thanks, Colt!)
- Running in your 20s could lead to better brain function in middle age.
- Amazon announced Amazon Fire last week, which will allow you to stream games and movies through your TV. (Thanks, Wes.)
Need a new workout plan? What about one of these nerdy workout plans by Neila Ray?
In gaming and console news, from TGG:
- Elder Scrolls Online is out now for PC and Mac; here’s a launch trailer and a round-up of launch-day news.
- It's official: The Last of Us: Remastered is coming to PS4 this summer, as Wes accurately puts it, "because $$$."
- New Super Smash Bros. games will be coming out for 3DS and Wii U later this year. The game’s creators have also decided split the multiplayer servers into two categories: ”For Fun” and “For Glory.”
- Marvel superheroes will soon be appearing in Disney Infinity.
- Monster Hunger 4 Ultimate will be released in the US later this year, but fans can enter a competition now to design and name their dream weapon for a chance to see it included in the game.
- Here's a preview of Mario Kart 8 and trailers for for Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, Soma, a new strategic mobile Star Trek game called Star Trek: Timelines and the tie-in game for The Amazing Spider-Man 2.
- In Amazon Fire game-specific news: Here’s a list of the first Amazon Fire games; a video that shows off bits of the games Amazon is working on for the system; information about how Telltale Games’ The Wolf Among Us and Walking Dead games will work with the system; a look at the official controller (that can be purchased separately); and how other Bluetooth controllers will work with it, too.
- External storage support is coming soon to Xbox One. Backwards compatibility with Xbox 360 is still being discussed, too, but the difference in architecture of the consoles makes it super difficult.
- Xbox Live users can download the premiere episode of Game of Thrones season 4 this week for free.
- Conan O'Brien recently rented out Texas Stadium to play games—Madden 25, Flower, Need for Speed: Rivals and Super Street Fighter 2: Turbo Edition—on their new 180' x 72' jumbo-tron.
- Microsoft has partnered with the UK's Channel 4 to produce a sci-fi drama called Humans, which is about a family of humans living with androids.
- This article discusses how overnight indie game successes can cause feelings of guilt and depression.
- A professor in Philadelphia recently set-up a giant multiplayer Tetris game in the hopes of creating an interest in coding for students.
My new favorite meme. (Find more on Tumblr.)