Vol. 5, Issue 11
Hey gang. It’s been a crazy week, and I haven’t been able to get online much, so apologies if I leave anything important out. As always, feel free to leave items of note in the comments, or email me.
In TV news this week:
- Mark Gatiss will write two episodes for Peter Capaldi's Doctor. (Thanks, Rebecca!)
- Patton Oswalt will join Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. as another S.H.I.E.L.D. agent. (Thanks, Rebecca.) Amy Acker is joining the show as well, as Coulson’s fabled cellist.
- If the voice from a recent episode is any indication, Harley Quinn might be appearing on Arrow.
- Here’s how Arrow and Flash will work together.
- A bunch of character images from Gotham have been released lately, including Oswald Cobblepot (Robin Lord Taylor), the Jim “the Future Commissioner” Gordon (Ben McKenzie), Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle (David Mazouz and Camren Bicondova), Alfred (Sean Pertwee) and Harvey Bullock (Donal Logue).
- Archer was recently renewed for a sixth and seventh season and will eventually get back to its spy roots.
- Community is getting an animated G.I. Joe episode. (Images at the link!)
- Here are two new posters for The Walking Dead’s fourth season finale, “Terminus,” featuring Glenn and Carol. Also: An edited, syndicated version of the show might be coming to a Fox-owned station near you.
- American Horror Story’s fourth season will be called Freak Show. Here are more details.
Here are a few teasers:
24: Live Another Day
Game of Thrones
In webseries news:
- The first episode of new Machinima series Enormous is now live. The show, which is based on a comic, can be summarized like so: “The world has been overrun by monsters. The remaining humans are plagued by a mysterious virus. Some believe children might be the key to a cure.” (The link is to a review, but the first episode is included with the post.)
This is a fun song.
In movie news:
- We’ve gotten a first look at the (top of the) new Iron Man suit from The Avengers: Age of Ultron. Also, here’s a look at both Quicksilver (that hair!) and Scarlet Witch from the set.
- Agent 13 (a.k.a. Sharon Carter) now has her own Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier poster.
- Christ Evans will be quitting acting once his Marvel contract is up.
- Karen Gillan looks awesome in her Guardians of the Galaxy Nebula makeup.
- Evangeline Lilly is now an official part of Ant-Man, but is rumored to be playing Hank Pym’s daughter/Scott Lang’s love interest, not Wasp.
- Here are seven (only semi-spoilery) things you need to know about The Amazing Spider-Man 2. A closeup of the movie’s Green Goblin has been revealed, too, and it’s really gross.
- A sequel of the reboot of Fantastic Four has already been greenlit, and it’ll be released in July 2017.
- Marvel’s also planning a new, currently secret movie that will be released in July 2018.
- Here’s another round-up of Star Wars VII rumors.
- Fast and Furious 7 will feature a CGI-ed Paul Walker and body doubles.
- Pacific Rim 2 is maybe still happening.
- Tucker and Dale vs. Evil 2 is definitely happening! If you’ve not seen the first movie, you must! It’s fantastic.
- The Divergent sequel (Insurgent) is a go.
- Ridley Scott is planning to shoot Prometheus 2 (with multiple Michael Fassbenders) later this year.
- There’s a Jem and the Holograms movie in the works. It’s OK, you can say it. It is indeed truly outrageous. The creator of the cartoon won’t be a part of it, however.
- The Queen and Country adaptation starring Ellen Page now has a director.
- Here’s more information on Terminator: Genesis.
- This new photo from Mad Max: Fury Road looks super old.
- Rumor of the week: Bradley Cooper is taking over the role of Indiana Jones.
- Jake Johnson (New Girl) has joined Jurassic World.
- The Rock’s Hercules looks pretty angry in this new poster.
- Andy Serkis will direct the other (non Idris Elba-as-Shere-Khan-starring) Jungle Book adaptation.
- These Dumb and Dumber To posters are pretty great.
- M. Night Shyamalan is working on a new movie called Sundowning.
Here are some trailers and a teaser for a trailer:
Edge of Tomorrow
Hercules (Thanks, Colt!)
Step Up: All In
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Thanks, Wes!)
X-Men: Days of Future Past
Black Widow looks so much better in this Captain America 2 poster by Paolo Rivera than she does in the actual poster.
So ... is Wes Anderson OCD or just really attentive to detail?
In SCIENCE! and tech news:
- NASA's sample-return Stardust mission has retrieved seven particles of cosmic dust. It's a BIG deal.
- Take a 360-degree tour of our galaxy thanks to NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope.
- The loblolly pine tree has a genome that’s seven times larger than the human one.
- The idea that lemmings commit group suicide is actually a myth perpetuated by Disney.
- Russia has a dolphin army!
- University of Michigan researchers have created infrared contact lenses.
This mashup needs to happen naow.
This one, by J-Po, is also fantastic.
DeviantART member Kasami-Sensei has created a very different mashup in his series "The Walking Disney."
In gaming news from TGG:
- Here’s part one and part two of a roundup of stories from the recent Game Developers Conference (GDC).
- Also from GDC: Here's a short video tour of the History of Nintendo booth.
- Assassin's Creed: Unity will be released this holiday season.
- Doctor Who: The Adventure Games is available on Steam in the US for $20, or, if you’re in the UK, available through the BBC's website for free.
- Here's a new trailer for Diablo III: Reaper of Souls.
- A new Adventure Time game is coming to consoles and handhelds this fall.
- You can now preorder Goat Simulator, a game in which you play a goat and do goaty things. The trailer for the game spoofs a famous Dead Island one.
- Dragon Fin Soup is an SNES-style RPG coming soon(ish) to a console near you.
- Puzzle game Let There Be Life’s goal is to build and nurture a tree while making sure to leave enough light streaming through for the flowers and create enough shade for the mushrooms growing underneath. In other (TGG) words, “a new game to combat your stressful days.”
- In new game Tetropolis, you play a tetromino, a.k.a. a Tetris piece.
- Speaking of, researchers in the UK have curbed cravings with games of Tetris.
- New iOS game Bounden involves two players "balancing" a reticle on a sphere on screen. The game, which is a kind of dance, was developed in collaboration with the Junior Company of the Dutch National Ballet.
- Here are a few teasers for Caffeine, a game in which you play a young boy on a caffeine mining spaceship who has to find out what happened to the rest of the crew.
- Joystiq staff members recently got to try out the just-announced Sony VR headset "Morpheus."
- While on the subject of VR headsets, Facebook bought Oculus, developer of the Oculus Rift VR goggles, Tuesday for $2 billion. Soon after, Minecraft creator Notch announced that he’s ended development of an official Oculus Rift version of the game.
- An adaptation of the graphic novel series Powers is coming to the PlayStation Network.
- Xbox One and Xbox 360 are getting new entertainment apps that will expand gamers' choices of sports, movies and e-sports offerings. The company's reputation system is finally getting consequences to go along with its ratings, too.
- The planned documentary centering around excavating a landfill that might contain a stockpile of Atari 2600 E.T. cartridges has been held up by the New Mexico Environment Department.
- YouTube channel Mega64 has put together a short film about the life of Ken Kutaragi former Sony Computer Entertainment chairman and CEO called Kutaragi's Way. The film “plays like a trailer for a really bad, really over-the-top 80's action film.”
- Insomniac Games, creators of Spyro, Ratchet and Clank and Resistance, are celebrating their 20th anniversary with this music video.
Michael Lombardi has a really fun style.
Thank you for making my week, Kevin Bacon.
In misc. news:
- Did you hear about the theory that ties Frozen, Rapunzel and The Little Mermaid together?
- Funko will be releasing blank DIY POP! vinyl figures later this spring. I’d love to make versions of me and the Mister!
- Here’s a look at all of the Simpsons’ LEGO mini-figs.
- Marvel has announced Spider-Verse, a new series that will involve “every Spider-Man from every universe.”
- An 80-page Godzilla prequel comic, Godzilla: Awakening, will be released May 7.
- Sandman Overture #2 has finally been released.
- Here's the official synopsis of the new Lestat book. (Thanks, James!)
- A new Walking Dead-inspired beer is brewed with actual (goat) brains.
- Black Milk has announced another set of Harry Potter designs.
- Benedict Cumberbatch will be playing Hamlet on stage in 2015. (Thanks, Rebecca.)
These stuffed Avengers octopi are so cute!