Vol. 5, Issue 2
Hello, friends! This'll be a somewhat light issue of Nerd News, but seeing as the last one was pretty huge, I think it'll even out. As always, if I've missed something, let me know in the comments or email me!
Oh, and there is no gaming news this week due to TGG being on vacation! But I'm sure he'll be back next issue with plenty of exciting links.
In movie news:
- Excelsino! Stan Lee will not have a cameo in Guardians of the Galaxy.
- The release date for Batman vs. Superman has been pushed to 2016. Here are some possibly spoilerish rumors about the plot.
- Gal Gadot has signed a three-movie deal for Wonder Woman.
- Kate Mara (127 Hours), Saoirse Ronan (Hanna), Kit Harrington (Game of Thrones), Richard Madden (Game of Thrones) and Miles Teller (The Spectacular Now) are all rumored to be in the running for roles in the Fantastic Four reboot.
- Speaking of Fantastic Four, the script is complete.
- And speaking of scripts, the Star Wars VII script is apparently ready to film, too.
- Best Star Wars VII rumor of the week: Judi Dench will play Mon Mothma.
- A Pixar/Star Wars mashup might actually become a real movie?
- This teaser poster for Fast and Furious 7 makes me (and Vin Diesel) a little emotional.
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 teaser poster has been revealed. It looks much like all of the other movies' teaser posters.
- Some behind-the-scenes photos from the filming of Ghostbusters were released this week.
- The clock is ticking on the Y: The Last Man adaptation.
- Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad) might be up for a role in the "still happening" Dark Tower movie.
- Sacha Baron Cohen is in talks to join the Alice in Wonderland sequel—Through the Looking Glass, natch—as the as-yet-unnamed villain.
Here are a few trailers:
300: Rise of an Empire
These Star Wars watches are fantastic.
Once the reboot craze runs its course, maybe Hollywood will just start recutting old movies into different genres.
In TV news:
- Jesse L. Martin (Law & Order) has signed on for the CW's Flash show.
- Donal Logue (Grounded for Life) might be in the upcoming Gotham series as Harvey Bullock, Jim Gordon's mentor.
- A Toy Story Christmas special will air later this year.
- NBC has quit work on the Murder She Wrote reboot.
- NBC is still working on creating more musicals, however. The next one will be Peter Pan.
- You can watch the first episode of Starz's pirate drama Black Sails online now.
Here are some teasers:
This bit of Doctor Who fan art was drawn by ... a young Peter Capaldi.
In webseries news: Amazon is working on a new Barbarella series.
In SCIENCE! and archeological news:
- A white star 12 million lightyears away from Earth has exploded, creating the closest supernova yet.
- Dwarf planet Ceres is shooting water off its surface.
- Check out this amazing photo of underwater sand dunes. Gorgeous!
- This beach in the Maldives glows like a night sky.
- A newly discovered species of sea anemone that hangs upside down from Antarctic ice might give hints to how species could live on other planets.
- Someone took 800 ants to the International Space Station. They say it's for science, but to me it seems like a nightmare.
- Humans can actually smell the amount of fat in certain foods.
- A mysterious 650-year-old mummy of an unknown pharaoh has been discovered in Egypt.
Poor Chief O'Brien. (Thanks, Colt! I had issues resizing; click the link below the image to embiggen.)
In misc. news:
- The official Star Trek online store is selling super cute original series POP! vinyl toys.
- The Doctor Who comics are moving from IDW to Titan Comics.
And finally, this is hilarious. (Why yes, I do have the sense of humor of a 12-year-old boy.)