Vol. 4, Issue 45
Hello friends! Today is my 30th birthday. *cue the streamers and confetti!* Although I’ve known it’s coming for what seems like years, it kind of snuck up on me! And I totally didn’t complete my 30 Before 30 list … but I’ll do a recap of what I did and didn’t do over the past year next week. For now, I’d like to ask you for a present—of GIFs! Please help me
Meanwhile, in TV news:
- Here are some new photos from the upcoming Doctor Who Christmas Special. And be sure to check out the first trailer, below!
- The eighth series will not be split in two, says Steven Moffat.
- Have you read John Watson’s blog, Sherlock fans? They’re full of feels. (Thanks, Rebecca!)
- Also, be sure to check out the interactive version of the new trailer for the show. (Thanks, Rebecca.)
- Chris Elliott (Cabin Boy) will guest star on Community.
- Natalie Dormer will be appearing once again on Elementary.
- Sleepy Hollow’s season finale has been extended to two hours.
- The CW is looking for a lady of color to cast as Barry Allen’s love interest in the Flash show.
- A new Terminator series will work with the upcoming films.
- Fox’s Gotham series will not have Batman, but it might have Bruce Wayne.
- Terry Brooks’ Shannara books are being adapted for the small screen; Jon Favreau will direct the pilot, which is being developed by MTV.
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt is bringing his HitRECord project to television.
- Family Guy’s Brian isn’t staying dead after all.
- NBC is making plans for more live musicals. I don't know either.
Here are some teasers:
Doctor Who Christmas Special
Mega Shark vs. Mecha Shark (I kid you not.)
These Tim Burton-esque Doctors were drawn by Michael Kenny, a 15-year old (!) artist. And if they’re any indication, I’d dig a Burton Who.
These Powerpuff Doctors by Tumblr user lumos5001 are definitely cuter in a typical cute way, though.
Splatter these Game of Thrones snowflakes with some red ink and you’ve got yourself the makings of great, story-accurate holiday decor!
In webseries news:
- Drew Goddard (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Alias, Lost, Cabin in the Woods … ) has been tapped to write and direct Netflix’s Daredevil series.
- Eureka writer Amy Berg is working on a new series called Caper, about superheroes gone rogue. (Thanks, Wes!)
Just stop, Benedict. (Semi-NSFW.)
In movie news:
- Another X-Men movie has been announced: X-Men: Apocalypse will be released in 2016. Here are some more details about the film.
- Here are some villain-related easter eggs from the latest The Amazing Spider-Man 2 trailer.
- Grain of salt, but Andrew Garfield is currently not signed on for more than three Spider-Man movies, so the Internet is all sorts of worried that a new Peter will need to be found for any movies past that point.
- The script for Fast & Furious 7 is currently being revised in order to “retire” Paul Walker from the franchise.
- The fourth movie in the Chronicles of Narnia franchise will be written by the man who adapted Life of Pi.
- Check out this great viral site for the new Godzilla and some images from the film.
- Here are some new promo posters for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.
- Disney now has the rights to Indiana Jones.
- Sony is hoping to make a good Bad Boys 3.
- Here are some details on the future of the Terminator franchise. Supposedly, the fifth movie will be called Terminator: Genesis; Jason Clarke (Zero Dark Thirty) is currently in talks for the John Connor role.
- The Andy Serkis-directed Animal Farm adaptation will start filming in mid-to-late 2014.
- Tom Cruise’s Jack Reacher is getting a sequel.
- Ben Foster (The Mechanic, 3:10 to Yuma) has joined Warcraft. I am so torn by this movie. I just don’t see how it’s going to work, but yet … I’m intrigued.
- Johnny Depp’s upcoming scifi film Transcendence now has an official plot.
- Peter Jackson will be directing the Tin Tin sequel post Hobbit.
- That Ouija Board movie? Still happening.
Here are some trailers:
Edge of Tomorrow
The Pirate Fairy (Hiddles plays Captain Hook!)
Skuzzles Gallery released a set of lovely Stargate (movie) posters this week.
Mondo will be releasing these Lord of the Rings and Highlander posters at some point today.
"Bohemian Rhapsody" + Star Wars? Yes, please.
You likely already have your Christmas cards bought or planned out, but in case you need some nerdy inspiration, check out these ideas from PJ McQuade.
Star Wars can pretty much be mashed up with anything and still look cool. Case in point, these illustrations by Vincent Vermeij:
I really, really dig this triptych by Tony Gerber. Y’all know I have a thing for skulls.
I also love this illustration of things John Hendrix remembers from the movies.
In SCIENCE! and tech news:
- NASA’s new hovering lander took a test flight yesterday, and boy is it pretty.
- Check out this crazy hexagonal storm on Saturn.
- A meteorite that fell to Earth 2012 has been confirmed to be a piece of the planet Mercury.
- Here are 12 obvious things confirmed by science. My favorite? Reading is good for your brain. You go, science. (Thanks, Martha!)
- A new nerve interface allows people with artificial hands to feel sensation in 20 spots.
- An artificial heart has been created using satellite technology.
- This new chemical compound might make humans “invisible” to mosquitoes.
Mary (from Thoughts Up North) has envisioned the planets of our solar system as really lovely humanoid creatures.
In gaming news from TGG:
- Check out this retrospective of the year’s video games.
- Destiny, the upcoming cross-platform game from Bungie, will launch worldwide Sept. 9, 2014.
- Sony has registered several new URLs that point to the possibility of a The Last of Us movie.
- There’s a new free-to-play Dragon Age strategy game called Heroes of Dragon Age out now on iOS and Android.
- DoubleFine's new adventure game Broken Age will feature the voice talents of the likes of Wil Wheaton and Elijah Wood.
- Elder Scrolls Online will launch April 4 for PC and Mac and sometime in June for PS4 and Xbox One. Check out a trailer at the link.
- Here's a preview of The Walking Dead Season 2; the first episode should be out next week.
- Telltale's Game of Thrones deal with HBO is a multi-year, multi-title one.
- Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes will be released March 18, 2014. Check out a new featurette and some details on XBox exclusives.
- The Spike VGX awards were held last weekend. Here's a roundup of new projects that were announced, including a new Borderlands game and Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, and here’s a list of the winners, which includes Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson for The Last of Us.
- Want to get more out of your XBox One experience? Check out these tips from Major Nelson.
- To clarify: THE XBOX ONE IS NOT BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE EVER. (Caps are TGG’s, not mine.) Apparently, people on the Internet can be jerks.
- Sony recently reset some PSN passwords in response to some “irregular activity.” Anyone effected should have received an email from the company.
- This article is about four (forward-thinking) librarians who have created video game sections in their libraries.
I would like one each of these stunning Marvel-inspired dresses by artist/fashion designer unidentifiedspoon.
Paradigm Posters has some great poster designs in their store. (Thanks, Shaun via Wes.)
In misc. news:
- Buffy will be returning (in comic form) for a 10th "season."
- The first original X-Men graphic novel in 32 years will be coming out in May 2014.
- Check out this adorable Funko POP Batman papercraft set.
- Speaking of POP, here is a look at a bunch of the Game of Thrones figures. Ghost is adorable!
- Like your plus toys video game themed? You can preorder The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds figures and “adopt” Chop, the dog from Grand Theft Auto V. (Thanks, Wes.)
- Got a Ghostbusters fan on your Christmas list? Perhaps they’d like this Venkman jacket.
I’d totally watch this movie.
*It's The Wreath of Khan, you noob.