Vol. 4, Issue 40
Hello, friends! We're heading to the premiere of Thor: The Dark World tonight. I'm excited. And no, not just because of Loki. But, you know, it doesn't hurt that he's in it.
In movie news:
- Aaron Taylor-Johnson has been confirmed as Quicksilver in The Avengers: Age of Ultron.
- A Chinese theater has used a hilarious fan-photoshopped Thor: The Dark World poster to promote the movie. (Thanks, Colt!)
- Jaimie Alexander recently talked about the possibility of a Thor 3, a Sif spin-off and her supposed talks with DC about a Wonder Woman movie. (Thanks, Rebecca!)
- Hugh Jackman and James Mangold (director of The Wolverine) want to make another Wolverine movie.
- Here's a look at Magneto's 1970s costume from X-Men: Days of Future Past.
- Joe Cornish (writer and director of Attack the Block) is the current frontrunner to direct Star Trek 3.
- In the latest Star Wars VII rumors: Chiwetel Ejiofor (Serenity, Love Actually) might have had an interview, these character descriptions might be for the movie.
- Among the tidbits revealed during the recent Hobbit fan event: Gandalf has a potty mouth. (Thanks, Colt.) And here are seven new character posters from The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.
- Renesmee in The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2 could have been much, much worse.
- Jon Favreau might be directing the new version of Disney's The Jungle Book.
- The names of the Transformers featured in Transformers 4 have been revealed.
- Jason Schwartzman could possibly join Jurassic World.
Here are a few trailers and a featurette:
A Case of You
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Thanks, Rebecca.)
The LEGO Movie
Only Lovers Left Alive
The Veronica Mars Movie
Mondo will be releasing a set of two Thor: The Dark World posters today (Thanks, Rebecca.)—and a Loki portrait that is kind of ridiculous ... but of course I want it.
The gallery also released a Gravity poster earlier this week.
In TV news:
- Doctor Who's series 8 will be a full season.
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. will have a Thor: The Dark World crossover episode that will be directed by
Number OneJonathan Frakes.
- Here is the first official photo from and some plot details about Sherlock's series 3.
- The CW is working on two new superhero shows, one about Hourman and the other about The Avenger.
- American Horror Story will have a fourth season.
- Styr, the Magnar of Thenn, will be played by Russian actor Yuri Kolokolnikov in Game of Thrones' season 4.
- SyFy has started casting the 12 Monkeys series.
- The History Channel is remaking Roots.
- Bret McKenzie (Austenland, Flight of the Conchords) is working on an animated series about NASA.
Here are a few teasers:
In (quasi-)webseries (Web TV?) news:
- Amazon's first shows will premiere this month. Alpha House is a "comedy about a frat house of senators" and Betas a "comedy about start-up nerds in start-up land."
- Marvel announced this morning that they'll be bringing "multiple original series of live-action adventures of four of Marvel's most popular characters" to Netflix in 2015. The "most popular characters" include Daredevil and Luke Cage.
In gaming news, from TGG:
- Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes is coming next spring to all current and next gen consoles.
- Batman: Arkham Origins came out last week ... and it was a rocky launch. The glitches were so bad that Warner Bros. had to issue an apology.
- Blizzard has filed a trademark for the terms "Warlords of Draenor," which fans are guessing will be the next World of Warcraft expansion.
- Battle.net account holders can download a re-release of Blackthorne, Blizzard's 1994 action/shoot 'em up game, for free.
- Here's a new trailer for Gran Turismo 6.
- And a new character trailer for Orchid for Xbox One's Killer Instinct remake.
- The South Park RPG release date has been pushed back to March 2014. Check out the seven minute gameplay trailer at the link.
- Bit.Trip Run, an infinite runner and mobile version of Bit.Trip Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien, is out now for iOS.
- Check out the free demo of the fan-made 2.5D version of Mega Man.
- Crytek and Machinima are working on a four-part web series based on the Xbox One game Ryse: Son of Rome.
- Microsoft has started randomly emailing some Xbox users codes for Killer Instinct full rosters, accessories and in some cases free Xbox One consoles. Because they can.
- Xbox One users will be able to quickly redeem download codes using a QR code and the new Kinect.
- Indie developers who sign up for the ID@Xbox program for Xbox One will receive the Unity engine license for free.
- The Ouya 2.0 will be launching next year.
- Here's an in-depth look at what Valve's new Steam Machine prototype has going on under the hood.
Mycks Art Studio has illustrated two more Mass Effect characters in their great calligraphy style.
Deviant Art artist renegade21 has reimagined Pixar characters as iconic video game characters.
In misc. news:
- Neil Gaiman will write the last short story in the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary e-book series. (I am both not surprised and very pleased.)
- Orson Scott Card is writing new Ender's Game books that are direct sequels to Ender's Game.
- Bill Willingham will semi-retire and end the Fables run with issue 150.
- Funko is releasing Thundercats and Star Trek: The Original Series POP! Vinyl figures.
- You can purchase your very own Game of Thrones house hoodie.
Thomas Kincade meets Star Wars in these awesome "remixes" by Jeff Bennett.
Benedict Cumberbatch is surprisingly good at Chewbacca impressions. (But I'm really just including this because of the YouTube screengrab.)
A limited number of original vintage 1977 first printing of the Star Wars movie poster by the Brothers Hildebrandt have been released. (Thanks, Rebecca.)
The Star Wars blooper reel that has been making the Internet rounds has been mashed into a trailer for the movie.
In SCIENCE! and tech news, from the Mister:
- NASA researchers have announced that the Kepler Telescope has discovered 833 new planets, 104 of which have the potential to harbor life.
- India has launched its first successful (science) mission to Mars.
- A supernova in our galaxy might be visible from Earth within the next 50 years.
- Speaking of: A 10-year-old has discovered a 600-year-old supernova in galaxy PGC 61330.
- A new human body part—a ligament in the knee—has been discovered.
- A father has created a working 3D printed prosthetic hand for his son for less than $20.
- Drugs that can cure Hepatitis C in just 12 weeks have received FDA approval.
- People in vegetative states can pay attention to sounds.
I found a few items, too:
- A person's aging process is accelerated by being in space.
- Babies can learn songs while they're still in the womb.
- This caterpillar looks like Iron Man.
Get a head start on Christmas with these geeky card ideas. (Thanks, Kristen!)
And finally, in honor of today (Thanks Rebecca and Amanda!):
Kids be crazy.