Vol. 4, Issue 41
Hey friends! Lots of exciting Doctor Who stuff this week. Let's start with this:
In other TV news:
- A bunch of new photos from "The Day of the Doctor" have been released recently. Here’s one set and here’s another. Also: Here’s a schedule of Doctor Who anniversary events.
- David Cross (Arrested Development) will guest star on an upcoming episode of Community—and the episode will be the second in series history all about Dungeons and Dragons.
- You can now play One True American with the cast of New Girl … in paper doll form.
- Coach (Damon Wayans Jr.) will be around for the rest of New Girl’s third season rather than just the four-episode run he initially signed on for.
- Rob Thomas (Veronica Mars) is working on an adaptation of the iZombie comic for The CW.
- Speaking of the channel: The Originals, Reign and The Tomorrow People have all received full-season orders.
- Also: Steven McQueen will join Arrow as Nightwing.
- Although it’s not doing that well in theaters, Ender’s Game might be coming to a TV near you.
- Angela Lansbury is not on board with the Murder, She Wrote reboot.
- Cinemax has bought a show about exorcisms from Robert Kirkman (creator of The Walking Dead).
Here are a few teasers. I’m preeeeetty excited about the second set.
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Thor: The Dark World crossover)
Doctor Who: “The Day of the Doctor”
The Sound of Music, Live (Yeahhhhh ...)
Nakatomi has released another set in their series of Doctor Who prints.
In webseries news: Writers have been found for the upcoming Marvel Netflix shows. Melissa Rosenberg (The Twilight Saga, Dexter) will be working on the Jessica Jones show and Drew Goddard (The Cabin in the Woods) will work on Daredevil.
In movie news:
- Cobie Smulders (Agent Maria Hill) will reprise her (buzzkill of a) role in The Avengers: Age of Ultron.
- Were you a bit confused about what the Thor: The Dark World mid- and post-credit scenes meant for the future of Marvel movies? Here’s the lowdown. (And some more info on the “gem.”)
- Christopher Eccleston recently revealed that he filmed a few Thor: The Dark World scenes that didn’t make the final cut.
- New images from the set of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 have been released; one of them is of a fully suited Peter with a fireman’s hat on and holding a fire hose?
- Rumors continue to run amok that Wonder Woman will have a lead role in Batman vs. Superman.
- Another character that might have a role in the movie, too? Nightwing.
- Guillermo Del Toro is positive that all of the upcoming Justice League films will be part of one cohesive universe. We shall see.
- Star Wars: Episode VII has an official release date: Dec. 15, 2015. J.J. Abrams has explained why he took over the writer’s role, and it turns out that Saoirse Ronan won’t be in the movie.
- Suzanne Collins (writer of The Hunger Games) forced the recasting of Buttercup in Catching Fire from the black and white cat of the first movie to a properly orange cat. Good on you, Suzanne.
- You can currently listen to the entirely of the Catching Fire soundtrack here.
- Ed Sheeran has recorded a song for The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug titled “I See Fire”—and it is beautiful.
- Here’s a first look at Stephen Fry’s interestingly coiffed Master of Laketown from the film and a new banner image.
- Justin Lin (director of Fast 5 and Fast & Furious 6) will be directing the next installment of the Bourne franchise.
- Check out the first poster for Disney’s Maleficent starring Angelina Jolie.
- Simon Pegg has a seriously funky ‘stache for his role as an assassin in Kill Me Three Times.
- Bryce Dallas Howard (The Help, Spiderman 3) has joined Jurassic World.
- Emilia Clarke (Game of Thrones) has supposedly tested for the role of Sarah Connor in the Terminator reboot project.
- Also supposedly: Emma Stone and Jonah Hill have been offered roles in Ghostbusters 3.
- Downton Abbey’s Dan Stevens has joined Night at the Museum 3 as a villain. I’m excited there’s going to be a third movie!
- Check out this first photo of Cameron Diaz’s Miss Hannigan in the upcoming remake of Annie.
- A bunch of release dates have recently been shuffled around: The Independence Day sequel has been moved back to 2016; the Fantastic Four reboot has been moved up to June 19, 2015. In addition, the Assassin's Creed movie has been delayed until Aug. 7, 2015. (Thanks, TGG!)
- There are currently three different Peter Pan movies in the works.
Here are a few trailers and a featurette:
The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug
Mondo will be releasing a couple of Silence of the Lambs posters by We Buy Your Kids at some point tomorrow.
I totally scored the Loki portrait last week. I am excite!
These Star Wars illustrations by Mirco Zett are both peaceful and a little ominous.
In misc. news:
- The second issue of The Sandman: Overture, Neil Gaiman’s Sandman prequel, has been delayed until February 2014.
- Also in February: DC will be releasing 20 steampunk-influenced variant covers of various New 52 titles.
- Disney is working on a stage production of The Princess Bride.
- Two new sets of Doctor Who music will be released to celebrate the show’s 50th anniversary. (Thanks, Rebecca!)
HA! (Even though Charlie's last name is spelled wrong ...)
In SCIENCE! and tech news, from the Mister:
- The Hubble Telescope has discovered an asteroid/comet with six tails.
- A new species of scorpion has been discovered.
I found some news as well:
- The fact that 22 percent of sunlike stars in the Milky Way are orbited by potentially habitable, Earth-sized worlds could change the odds of us finding other life in the universe.
- Scientists have found the Wolverine gene!
- Check out the most accurate model of DNA created to date.
- A new bioengineered patch can regrow bones from inside a body.
- That ligament in the knee that was supposedly a new body part? It’s not actually a new organ.
- This tortoise, who lost his leg in an accident, got a replacement made out of LEGO wheels.
- The Western Black Rhino has gone extinct (again).
- Genetically modified animals could help reverse damage to the planet.
What fun! Alia Syed created these "portraits" by quilling paper.
Foster's Laboratory is a great mashup of Thor and Dexter's Laboratory by Leigh Lahav. Loki as Mandark is kind of inspired.
In gaming news, from TGG:
- BioWare shared some teasery development photos of the new Mass Effect via Twitter on N7 Day (Nov. 7).
- All planned sequels to Doctor Who and the Eternity Clock have been cancelled, but Doctor Who: Legacy is coming to iOS and Android "soon" as a free-to-play game.
- A new Middle-earth game has been announced. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor puts you in the boots of a resurrected ranger named Talion with some vengeful spirit abilities.
- LEGO Lord of the Rings is finally on iOS.
- Tiny Death Star, the Star Wars iOS game, is also out now.
- Here's a leaked trailer for the Diablo III "Reaper of Souls" expansion.
- And a story trailer for the Xbox One exclusive Dead Rising 3.
- PS3 and PS4 users will be able to play DC Universe Online together cross-platform.
- The Nov. 22 Xbox One launch event will be streamed on Spike TV as well as through Xbox channels. Here's a 12-minute, in-depth look at the Xbox One dashboard and a list of apps, sorted by region, available to the Xbox One at launch.
- Sony has released a similar list for the PS4.
- Here's Sony's official PS4 unboxing video, but if you're still on the fence about which console is better, you might want to check out Joystiq's review.
- Good advice for those of you who are set on getting the PS4 on launch day: You can download the PS4 day-one firmware patch to a flash drive now and have it ready to install on your console, which will help you avoid overly crowded servers.
- The company has also upped the friends limit on PSN to 2,000 and released a PlayStation App for iOS and Android.
- The PSN terms of service have been updated to include Sony's right to monitor users' activity and turn the data over to authorities if necessary.
- Here's a round-up of the announcements on World of Warcraft expansions, new game betas and other news that came out of BlizzCon.
- 2 Players Productions' feature length Minecraft documentary has been uploaded to YouTube for anyone and everyone to watch for free.
I found one fun thing: You can deck your Xbox avatar out in Thor: The Dark World garb. You know I bought the Loki hat and outfit.
Speaking of Loki:
And since Loki and Tom are interchangeable:
Lookin' gooood ladies! (Cinderella's my favorite.)