Vol. 4, Issue 35
I am ashamed to have not included The Legend of Korra in yesterday's Pre-Premiere Week post! The show's second season starts at 7/6 CST tomorrow (Sept. 13) on Nickelodeon. (Peep a new trailer below.)
In movie news:
- There is a new Harry Potter-inspired movie series in the works. (!!!)
- Here are a couple of new Thor: The Dark World posters. And another, with Loki. Then there's this one. (But it's not real. QUIT TRYING TO MAKE THOKI HAPPEN, TUMBLR.)
- We'll see Ant Man in the summer of 2015.
- Marvel will be making more Peggy Carter one-shots.
- Katee Sackhoff (Battlestar Galactica) might (emphasis on might) be in talks with Marvel to play Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel.
- Vin Diesel might be playing more than just the voice of Groot in the Marvel universe, too.
- Stargate is getting a reboot and a new trilogy.
- Djimon Hounsou has joined Fast & Furious 7.
- Here are a bunch of new character posters for The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.
- Production of The Mortal Instruments: City of Ashes has been postponed indefinitely.
- An adaptation of the Queen & Country graphic novel will star Ellen Page.
- The Locke & Key adaptation has found a writer, but who it is is still unreleased information.
- Ian McKellan will play Sherlock Holmes in a new movie.
- A modern-day Macbeth is in the works, and it'll have
Ron WeasleyRupert Grint in it.
- Tom Hiddleston has joined Guillermo del Toro's Crimson Peak (in Benedict Cumberbatch's place).
- Here's a photo of Tom Hardy from Mad Max: Fury Road.
- G.I. Joe 3 will be written by the guy who wrote Snow White and the Huntsman.
- Jurassic Park 4 will be called Jurassic World.
- Here are some new photos from the set of Tomorrowland.
- Alan Taylor (director of Thor: TDW) might be directing Terminator 5.
- Will Smith might be in the Independence Day sequels after all.
- More news about Pirates of the Caribbean 5 has been released.
Here is a trailer:
Robocop (Thanks, Colt!)
Mondo is releasing this V for Vendetta poster at some point today.
This would be a very cool actual poster for Batman vs. Superman, but it's just a fan illustration (as of right now ...).
In TV news:
- Here's some news about the BBC's planned Doctor Who anniversary specials ...
- ... a first look at Matt Smith in a wig ...
- ... and an awesome poster for the Tennant/Smith episode.
- A great shot of Crowley (Mark Sheppard) from Supernatural's season 9 has been released.
- Cynthia Addai-Robinson (Spartacus) has been cast as Amanda Waller on Arrow.
- Bill Nye will be on the next season of Dancing with the Stars. (Thanks, Colt.)
- Walton Goggins (Justified, Django Unchained) will guest star on Community.
- Mark Gatiss's (Sherlock) Game of Thrones role has been revealed.
- In other GoT casting news, the band Sigur Rós will somehow have a cameo.
- Breaking Bad's Saul (Bob Odenkirk) is getting his own show. (Thanks, TGG!)
- FX is working on an American Psycho series.
- The Outlander series has cast its star.
- G4 will no longer become the Esquire channel. The Style Channel will, though. (Thanks, TGG.)
Here are some promo clips:
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
American Horror Story: Coven (Someone please explain this show to me? I still don't get it.)
Atlantis (new BBC show)
Helix (Thanks, Bryan!)
Legend of Korra: Book 2
Karen Hallion does it again.
BIGBADROBOT's art is fantastic.
In SCIENCE! and tech news:
- Gliese 1214b, one of the nearest Super-Earths discovered to date, might have oceans.
- Scientists have discovered previously unknown organic molecules in a meteorite that exploded over California last year, which begets the idea that the universe has more to offer than we realized. (Thanks, Colt.)
- Here's a video of the recent launch of NASA's Lunar Atmosphere and Dust Enviroment Explorer (LADEE).
- This video shows the second rocket-powered test flight of Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo spacecraft ... from the engine.
- Check out nacreous clouds, an unusual, nitric-acid filled cloud formation.
- Here's a list of five "crazy" new man-made materials.
- This transparent brain implant would allow doctors to peek inside the human cranium whenever they wanted.
- Human pee contains 30 times more chemicals than was previously thought.
- Apparently ... men with smaller testicles make better fathers.
- Certain microbes in your belly might help you lose weight.
- Check out these amazing photos of Migaloo, the only known albino humpback whale.
- The Maleo, a very odd-looking bird, can fly from the moment of birth.
- Have you (iOS users) downloaded the JARVIS app yet?
- Canadians can now get in on all the Kickstarter action. (Thanks, TGG.)
Did you know these things about these animals?
In book, comic and fashion news:
creepy as all hellmysterious new J.J. Abrams project? It's a book titled S.
- This Books by the Foot program is great for the kiddos who like to read. (Thanks, Rebecca!)
- A new Song of Ice and Fire book will be released next year, but it's not Winds of Winter. It's a collection of short stories called A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms.
- DC has had some serious issues this week. First, they cancelled the marriage of Batwoman to her girlfriend, after which the creative team promptly quit, and then they asked artists to draw a naked Harley Quinn committing suicide.
- Here are some images of Blackmilk's new Harry Potter garb.
John Staub has created a really lovely set of medieval DC characters.
Gorgeous Disney princess/villain art from J. Scott Campbell:
And these ladies look great in their gents' clothes.
In gaming news, from TGG:
- The PlayStation Network will get a Beyond: Two Souls demo Oct. 1. Here's a new preview, which might be NSFW for language.
- A former BioWare developer is working a new "relationship-driven" sci-fi game.
- Here's a new preview for Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes.
- Grand Theft Auto 5 will reportedly include more than 100 hours of gameplay.
- PC gamers who purchase qualifying Nvidia graphics cards will get a free copy of Batman: Arkham Origins when the game is released.
- Speaking of, the game will supposedly feature "Mega Man-style boss progression," which Wes describes thusly: "Players will be able to choose what order they want to take on the different boss characters, and defeating each one will grant players a specific new item or tool to help with future encounters."
- Here are some details on the free companion app for Watch Dogs.
- A Final Fantasy XIV iOS companion app has been released.
- iOS and Android card game Star Wars: Force Collection is out now.
- UFC lady fighters Ronda Rousey and Miesha Tate will be playable characters in an upcoming UFC game (but they won't be able to fight male characters).
- Here's a brief interview on and history of Kerbal Space Program, an impressive sandbox game that allows players to build and launch rockets with the goal of reaching space.
- A team of superfans has been working on a Timesplitters HD remake in the hopes that they can release the game for the PS4.
- A bunch of PS4 information was revealed during Sony Japan's conference earlier this week, including the Japan console launch date and launch titles, new PS Vita hardware and new games.
- The Microsoft Store will also be offering $10 upgrades from 360 to Xbox One games.
- The Xbox One could become backwards compatible at some point in the future.
- Certain actions will earn gamers real-world money through the new Xbox store.
- Here are some more details on the Xbox One SmartGlass app.
- Valve has announced Steam Family Sharing, which lets users share their game library with up to 10 other users.
Cartoons/Gaming characters + Game of Thrones =
And finally, everything is more epic with the Inception sound.