Vol. 4, Issue 26
I'll start this issue with a list of all the books that are being turned into TV shows and movies over the next year, because I couldn't figure out where else to put it. Enjoy! And then read on, friends.
In TV news:
- John Hurt's role in the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special has pretty much been confirmed.
- Donald Glover will not be returning full-time to Community's fifth season.
- Summer Glau will have a reoccurring role in Arrow's second season.
- George R. R. Martin wishes Game of Thrones's Iron Throne looked more like this.
- A pilot for a The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen series has been ordered by Fox.
Here's a featurette for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.:
Everything's better with bacon.
These grown up versions of Hey Arnold and Rugrats characters are great.
In movie news:
- This Captain America: The Winter Soldier teaser poster is quite a tease. (/roll eyes) This concept art is a little better in that it actually teases part of the movie's plot.
- Vin Diesel's involvement in The Avengers 2 is looking more and more like a sure thing.
- Here are some rumors regarding who Benicio del Toro, Lee Pace and Karen Gillan will be playing in Guardians of Galaxy.
- Check out the first official look at Jamie Foxx's Electro in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and some more official promo photos. I'm not a fan, currently, of the Electro getup, although that's totally from an aesthetic POV rather than knowing what he's supposed to look like. I guess I'll just have to wait for the movie to make final judgement.
- The Man of Steel sequel is already in the works.
- Legendary Pictures has made a new deal that might revive the possibility of Hellboy 3.
- James Franco might have a cameo in the Veronica Mars movie.
- The Rock will have hair in Hercules.
- Stellan Skarsgard has a role in the live action Cinderella.
- Charlie Kaufman and Guillermo del Toro are working on an adaptation of Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five.
- I've not read The Maze Runner (it's on The List), but here are a bunch of photos from the YA book's movie adaptation.
- Dumb and Dumber 2 is still happening, according to Jeff Daniels.
Here are some trailers and a couple of featurettes:
R.I.P.D. (There are two more clips at the link.)
Love this Nick Frost-focusing minimalist poster for the Cornetto Trilogy.
A lot of Pacific Rim art has popped up on the Web this week in anticipation of the movie's release this weekend.
From Odd City Entertainment:
From various fans:
Mondo will also be selling exclusive Pacific Rim posters at SDCC. (Some of the other Mondo SDCC exclusives are further down in the post.)
In SCIENCE! and tech news, from the Mister:
- Radio signals emanating from outside of our galaxy have been detected. (Aliens.)
- Astronomers recently watched the birth of a massive star located about 10,000 light years from Earth.
- Scientists have found antimatter in solar flares.
- The earth's deserts are becoming greener thanks to rising carbon dioxide levels.
- Two patients in Boston look to have been completely cured of HIV.
- The first human livers have been created in a lab by using stem cells.
- A new breakthrough could lead to artificial skin that senses touch, humidity and temperature.
- This new 3D-printed design might be the cast of the future.
- The tropical Hawkmoth can disrupt a bat's sonar by making a similar noise with their genitals.
- Antarctica's ancient Lake Vostok is teeming with life.
I found a few items as well:
- "Bitzars" could be behind those intergalactic radio bursts.
- The Mars rover Opportunity recently passed the 10-year mark since it landed on the Red Planet.
- You can now take a virtual tour in and around extravehicular mobility units, the suits astronauts wear when going on spacewalks.
- Wolverine's Adamantium alloy might soon become a reality.
- A few living people in British Columbia have been linked to the DNA of a woman who lived 5,500 years ago.
- Women do better on math tests when they take it using a fake name.
- A 50,000 year-old Bald Cypress forest has been discovered under the surface of the Gulf of Mexico.
Here are some of Mondo's other SDCC exclusive prints:
In comics, toy, and misc. news:
- Something serious might be happening to Superman in Justice League #22.
- Here's a look at the Funko exclusives that will be released at San Diego Comic Con.
- And here's a comprehensive list of the other exclusive toys.
- You will soon be able to buy your very own "official" Captain Mal plush friend.
- Explore Diagon Alley—using Google Street View.
How awesome are these custom Star Wars Mickey Mouse-ear hats?
EVERY battle should be solved through musicals. (Thanks, TGG!)
In gaming news, from TGG:
- Here's a gameplay video for Bungie's new game Destiny.
- The first footage from Grand Theft Auto 5 has been released. Here are some details about the improved vehicle customization and new weapons customization modes.
- Check out these great screenshots from Sir, You Are Being Hunted.
- Scribblenauts Unmasked will be released Sept. 24 for PCs, Wii U and the 3DS and will featuring more than 2,500 DC characters—including 14 different versions of Superman.
- Here's a new developer diary video for Beyond: Two Souls.
- And a new gameplay trailer for Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag.
- Mad Max will speak like an Australian in the new game (based on the new movie).
- A bunch of apps—including Infinity Blade II, Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery EP and Where's My Water?—have been seriously discounted (i.e., they're free) to celebrate the App Store's 5-year anniversary.
- New sci-fi first-person shooter mobile game Morning Star has a special digital graphic novel add-on called Morning Star Alpha—noteworthy due to it being created by the likes of Marvel comic artists, author John Scalzi and more.
- QWOP is now available for Android systems. As TGG so awesomely puts it, "Android gamers can finally feel the bitter sting of no bodily control, and in public no less!"
- Pinball FX 2 players on Steam can now play a Captain America table.
- Here's some footage of a Battleship-type game coming soon to Google Glass. That's not dangerous or anything.
- You can create your own Adventure Time game via The Cartoon Network's website.
- Xbox's Summer of Arcade lineup (titles, release dates and prices) has been announced. The lineup includes Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons and TMNT: Out of the Shadows. More information specifically on TMNT: Out of the Shadows can be found here.
- Beta testers of the new Xbox Live are experiencing some troubling currency conversions when switching from MS Points to local currency. (Microsoft is supposedly working to fix the bug.) You can get more information on beta signups here.
- Xbox One's "matchmaking system" will pair gamers based on reputation, "so players who consistently troll and verbally abuse other players will be paired with players with similar habits," says TGG.
- Gamestop has stopped taking PS4 pre-orders due to overwhelming demand.
- When PS4 game designers wanted to create a more kid-friendly game, they increased the size of a controller by 50 percent to get a better feel for what a kid experienced.
- Here's an Ouya review from ShezCrafti and a list of great titles for the new system.
- Best Buy is currently running a promotion in which buying two select games will get you a $50 gift card. (This deal is likely to end soon, so act quickly!)