Vol. 4, Issue 4
Hi friends! Seems like most of you are on board with the Disqus switchover—I'm glad! I hope it continues to be as awesome as it seems.
But I shan't keep you from what you're all really here for.
In TV news:
- Might Cobie Smulders' Agent Maria Hill be making an appearance on S.H.I.E.L.D.?
- Christoph Waltz is going to host SNL Feb. 16.
- David Tennant's Spies of Warsaw miniseries will be shown on BBC America April 3 and 10.
Filtch Walder FreyDavid Bradley will star as the First Doctor in a new making-of Doctor Who origins story.
- Felicia Day will be guest starring on Supernatural for a third time.
- The CW has passed on Amazon (the Wonder Woman show) ... for now.
- The Vampire Diaries spin-off will take place in New Orleans—be on the lookout for an upcoming backdoor pilot.
- How I Met Your Mother has been renewed for a ninth and final season.
- Jaime Dornan (Sheriff Graham/The Huntsman) is returning to Once Upon a Time.
- Here are some character photos from Game of Thrones' season 3.
- Someone from The Walking Dead's first season will return.
- Cast members from Merlin and Game of Thrones will be joining NBC's Dracula.
- Cory and Topanga's daughter has been cast (for Girl Meets World).
- Teen Titans Go! and Beware the Batman will replace Young Justice and Green Lantern on Cartoon Network's DC Nation block.
- The network will be airing a new Powerpuff Girls special, however.
- Roseanne Barr will voice Krang Prime in the TMNT series finale.
I am probably a little too entertained by the latest SNL Digital Short.
This Doctor Who perpetual calendar will help you tell the date until 9999 A.D.
I've been many of these at one point in my life. (Click to embiggen.)
In movie news:
- It's official: J.J. Abrams will be directing Star Wars VII. (The dude is BUSY.)
- Also: The movie might feature a female protagonist.
- The 3D releases of Episodes II and III have been postponed.
- Check it out—yet another new theory on who Benedict Cumberbatch is actually playing in Star Trek Into Darkness.
- Jon Favreau has a key role in Iron Man 3. Here's the film's new official theatrical poster.
- Ant-Man and Doctor Strange will have movies in Marvel's Phase 3.
- Anna Paquin, Ellen Page and Shawn Ashmore have signed on for X-Men: Days of Future Past.
- Paul Giamatti is in talks to play The Rhino in The Amazing Spider-Man 2.
- The latest rumor on what key DC characters will be in Justice League is not surprising.
- Man of Steel might feature a surprising cameo.
- More details from The Wolverine have been revealed.
- Here are some new photos from Man of Steel, The Wolverine, Thor 2 and Kick-Ass 2. And one of Amy Adams as Lois Lane.
- Batman might be rebooted as soon as 2017.
- The Muppets sequel has a name ... and here's the first official photo.
CrazyDedicated fans have Google-mapped the Catching Fire set.
- Kate Winslet has joined Divergent. Alex Pettyfer might have also been cast as Four, but the casting might hurt the film.
- Eva Green (Casino Royale) has joined Sin City 2 as the Dame to Kill For.
- If anyone else was confused (like I was) about the masked lady in Django Unchained, here's a bit of her story.
- Here's a first look at Tom Hiddleston and Tilda Swinton in the new vampire movie Only Lovers Left Alive.
- And another new photo of Johnny Depp as Tonto in The Lone Ranger.
- This is hilarious: "The 23 Worst Ways to be Killed by Jason Statham."
- The Brad Bird and George Clooney film (formerly 1952) has been retitled Tomorrowland.
- Disney's animated Paperman short can now be watched online.
- Warcraft (yes, the adaptation of the World of Warcraft universe) will be directed by Duncan Jones (Moon, Source Code). (Thanks, TGG!)
- An Entourage movie has been greenlit.
Here are a few trailers, a teaser and a featurette.
Iron Man 3
Jack the Giant Slayer
The Place Beyond the Pines
Star Trek Into Darkness
Heck yes: More awesome minimalist posters:
It's called brunch, friends. The more you know.
Cute icons! (Thanks, Rebecca!)
In gaming news, from TGG:
- These screenshots (presented without comment) are BioWare's (jerkish) way of teasing new Mass Effect 3 DLC.
- Scott Pilgrim's Wallace Wells/online multiplayer DLC will be available on Xbox Live Feb. 6. And PSN Feb. 5.
- Here's a new trailer for Aliens: Colonial Marines, which finally comes out Feb. 12.
- Buying God of War: Ascension will get players early access to a demo of The Last of Us.
- Also in
The Game With Everyone, EverInjustice: Gods Among Us: Lex Luthor. Here's a character video.
- Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy is now available for iOS and through Steam.
- Although Disney Infinity will see "annual" releases of new content, the content is actually already on the disc. As TGG says, "This means that hackers will potentially (read: likely) break into the code ... I'm not sure if Disney is aware, but this is exactly the kind of thing gamers are really good at."
- Jesse McCartney (Roxas in the U.S. version of the Kingdom Hearts series) tweeted an image of a recording studio, which hints that he's working on the HD remake.
- A new Ghostbusters "tycoon-style" game is now available for iOS.
- Here's early footage of a new mission type from Dead Island: Riptide.
- You too can be a surgeon when you play Surgeon Simulator 2013. Here's a NSFW gameplay video.
- China might be working toward ending their 13-year ban on gaming consoles.
Downton Abbey for SNES. You know you want to play it.
I found a couple of items, too:
- A new Sonic game will be released this spring.
- Here's a behind-the-scenes video for LEGO Marvel Super Heroes.
LOVE this (sassy-pants) Leia.
And this poster.
In SCIENCE! and tech news, from The Mister:
- Evidence of fossilized water has been found on Mars.
- Turns out DNA could carry 100 hours of HD video.
- New medicines might soon be made from beer's "humulones."
- Scientists have drilled into the waters of one of Antarctica's underground lakes.
- An artist has created an installation of real clouds indoors.
- Another example of how intelligent primates are: Primates, like humans, can modify their movements to mimic others.
- A group of wild dolphins have been photographed trying to help a dying companion.
- Dung beetles travel with help from the Milky Way.
- The secrets of spider silk have been revealed.
- Large cities effect the temperatures of surrounding areas.
- "Diet, parental involvement and preschool" can effect a child's later intelligence.
I found a few bits as well:
- Scientists have created a (really, really) tiny tractor beam.
- According to science, there are six secrets to happiness.
- This dinosaur tooth has been completely opalized.
- In the second dolphin story of the week: Sperm whales have adopted a deformed dolphin into their pod.
- Stray cats are ruining the world.
This squirrel really does make the best "oh shit" face ever.
These suits are relevant to The Mister's interests. (Thanks, Ben!)
In toy news:
- New Doctor Who merch has been announced, including a limited-edition Ten. (Thanks, TCC!)
- Funko is releasing a slew of Iron Man 3 toys.
- Here's a sneak peek at new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles toys.
In comic/book news:
- The Book of Sith will be released May 4.
- The comic Fables will have a crossover run with the comic The Unwritten. (Love Fables; never read The Unwritten ...)
I've never read any Deadpool comics, but I really think he and I would get along swimmingly.
Simba's face at the end absolutely makes the whole thing.