Vol. 3, Issue 42
Happy Thursday, y'all. Let's jump right in.
In TV news:
- Neil Gaiman's second Doctor Who episode will deal with the Cybermen.
- The new S.H.I.E.L.D. show (which I hope soon has an easier name to type) might start filming in January.
- Claudia Black (Farscape, SG:1) will guest star on an upcoming episode of Haven.
- Fellow Farscape and SG:1 alum Ben Browder will be joining Arrow.
- The Huntress is coming to Arrow as well.
- The CW has announced holiday episodes of a whole bunch of their shows.
- Downton Abbey's third season will start up Jan. 6 here in the U.S. (Must finish season 2!)
- David Tennant is lending his voice to The Clone Wars.
- While we're on the subject, what does the recent Lucasfilm/Disney merger mean for TCW?
- Unreleased footage from Firefly will be released in accordance with the 10th anniversary shindig on The Science Channel ... if enough people play along.
- There's a Boy Meets World sequel in the works! With Cory and Topanga's spawn!
- The new J.J. Abrams show, Beastlies, is 1. animated and 2. based on a series of super cute Etsy-sold figurines.
- Sam Mendes (American Beauty, Skyfall) is working on an 1800s vampire-hunter show.
- Here's a first look at Game of Thrones' Daario Naharis and Missandei.
- A Eureka producer and The Crow's director are teaming up for a new ABC sci-fi show that involves toxic fumes and superhuman abilities.
- NCIS's spinoff NCIS:LA is getting its own spinoff.
- That beleaguered Powers show? It's still alive.
Here's a promo for the new Starz show Da Vinci's Demons:
In webseries news:
- The BSG: Blood and Chrome pilot that was supposed (?) to air on SyFy will be airing on Machinima Prime Nov. 9.
I'm totally entertained by these Eric Carle-like Game of Thrones pages.
Karen Hallion added two more Disney princesses to her companions list.
In movie news:
- Cobie Smulders and Sammy J. are likely signing on to be in Captain America: Winter Soldier.
- Harrison Ford would be totally on board for Star Wars: Episode VII, if ...
- Carrie Fisher wants in, too! (Thanks, Colt!)
- Boba Fett might even show his face.
- There are a ton of rumors on who might be directing the new SW film, including Matthew Vaughn (Kick Ass, X-Men: First Class).
- But that's not the reason he left the helm of X-Men: Days of Future Past.
- Kevin Smith thinks MC Chris should voice Rocket Raccoon in Guardians of the Galaxy. (Thanks, TGG!)
- Love this teaser poster for the Joss Whedon Much Ado About Nothing. (I need to see this.)
- Nicholas Cage has officially joined The Expendables 3. (I find this hilarious, and agree with TCC's idea that he should definitely be a villain.)
- There be ninjas on the set of The Wolverine.
- Christolph Waltz (<3) might be the big non-human star of the next Muppets!
- Jaime Foxx is rumored to be joining the sequel to The Amazing Spider-Man. (Thanks, TGG.) Here's what Marc Webb has to say about that.
- Check out this great set of Hobbit character posters and some more on-set candids. (The Mister and I got our midnight tickets yesterday!)
- Also, take a listen to the first released song from the Hobbit soundtrack.
- The two Mockingjay movies will also be directed by Francis Lawrence. (He's directing Catching Fire.)
- Wreck-It Ralph 2 might move into the online gaming world.
- Guillermo del Toro might be making a Avengers/Justice League-type movie with DC's more magical characters.
- You can now watch Pixar's La Luna, the super sweet short from the front of Brave, online.
- More details on A Good Day to Die Hard have been released.
- Michael Bay is considering Mark Wahlberg for a Transformers 4 role.
- The failed Locke and Key comic adaptation pilot might be turned into a trilogy of movies.
- Here's some info on the fun Lincoln meets Poe animated extra that can be found on the Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter DVD.
- Who would make a better Tarzan—Tom Hardy (The Dark Knight Rises), Henry Cavill (Man of Steel), Charlie Hunnam (Sons of Anarchy) or Alexander Skarsgard (True Blood)?
- Terminator 5 is a go.
- As well as the Twilight Zone movie.
- Top Gun 2, however, is no more.
- Elfquest is headed to the big screen.
- Dominic Cooper (Mamma Mia, Captain America) is in talks to join the Need for Speed movie.
- Vince Vaughn is
trying to addadding "action star" to his résumé.
A few trailers/clips for you:
Despicable Me 2 (Thanks, Colt.)
G.I. Joe Retaliation
World War Z
I'd likely pay more attention if this was the norm for in-flighty safety presentations.
In SCIENCE! and tech news, from The Mister:
- A newly discovered species of frog is the world's smallest vertebrate.
- This video of Felix Baumgartner doing a test jump from (practically) space is so crazy.
- And here's audio of Felix breaking the sound barrier.
- Two specimens of the world's most elusive whale were found on a New Zealand beach.
- A giant pterosaur was "close to the size of an F-16 jet."
I also found a couple of noteworthy items:
- Neil deGrasse Tyson has found Krypton.
- Curiosity can take photos of itself. No duckface was involved, thankfully. *ba-dum-tsh*
- A near-complete Woolly Mammoth skeleton has been found near Paris.
- Here are the "best space photos ever."
Fanboy!Coulson in the left background (behind the superhusbands!) is my favorite of these little vignettes.
Love this alphabet. (Thanks, Rebecca!)
In gaming news, from TGG:
- The PS3 Mass Effect Trilogy has been pushed to Dec. 4. This story explains what DLC will be included in the pack. And here's a trailer.
- Yesterday was N7 Day, and with it came some ME deals in the Bioware store.
- Also coming out Dec. 4, new Skyrim DLC for Xbox called "Dragonborn." In which, you might just be able to ride a dragon.
- The company behind Halo 4 is taking a zero tolerance stance on sexual discrimination in-game.
- Also, if you have an American Express card, you can link up your Halo 4 account and get perks for playing, such as $25 off your statement. Xbox Live is getting into the action as well.
- The title of the new Uncharted game has been leaked—it's Uncharted: Fight for Fortune.
- A Wreck-It Ralph iOS game that includes three mini-games and will get future updates is now available.
- Here's an Injustice: Gods Among Us trailer that compares the combat mechanics of the game to those of Mortal Kombat. (Both games were developed by the same studio.)
- A new Assassin's Creed anthology—a collection of all the AC games—is coming, but only for players in Europe, the Middle East and Africa. (For now.)
- Jaime of ShezCrafti posted a great story about a 5-year-old's fun flash game and her dad's TED talk on children and technological creativity.
- The PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale trailer from Europe is pretty different than the American version.
- Here's a trailer for tweed-punk game Sir, You Are Being Hunted, the Kickstarter for which I've posted about previously. (They've reached their goal.)
- Some Black Friday video game deals are being released early, like these from Best Buy.
- Peter Molyneux's first game "experiment," Curiosity: What's Inside the Cube, is out now. This article explains "how and why people will obsessively tap their iPhones to get to the center." And this Tumblr gives examples of what people have found.
- The new Xbox SmartGlass app for iOS—out now, for free—replaces the current Xbox Companion app.
- Microsoft has filed a patent for a device that would use something like the Kinect to record how many people are viewing licensed content in order to enforce licenses. As TGG says, "this is the first time something has legitimately reminded me of a Big Brother type situation."
I also found this fun story—we finally know what female Turians look like.
In comic news, from TCC:
- Here's a (vague) bit on another Marvel NOW! project described only as Fearless.
I'm sure I've said this before, but it bears repeating: Olly Moss is stupidly talented.
In book news:
- Stephenie Meyer is considering writing more Twilight books.
As always, yay minimalism!
And finally, these GIFs totally made my week.