Vol. 3, Issue 31
Hullooooo friends! Let's start things off this week with a mashup of Olympic proportions (Thanks, Shaun!)
You see what I did there? Yeah ... let's move on.
In TV news:
- We might be seeing multiple Doctor Who anniversary specials.
- While we're on the subject, there was a new trailer for series 7 released today. Below is a new promo shot to tide you over until you get through the rest of the TV news.
UGHHHHHH. THE FEELS.
- And, which U.S. landmark is a Weeping Angel? I'm sure you can figure this one out without reading the link.
- Also a possibility: an ABC show based in the Avengers 'verse. (1/2 point to Mark for this link.) Here's another article on the same possible show. (Full credit—and thanks!—to Mark for that second link.)
- Community's Yvette Nicole Brown (Shirley) thinks the show should have a Muppets episode. Uh, YES.
- Here are some more details on Fringe, season 5.
- Once Upon a Time's Lancelot has been cast.
- Here is some information on Misfits' series 4.
- Deadshot will appear in the third episode of Arrow. (Thanks, Mark.)
- Modern Family's Stella has been recast!
- Ryan Murphy's released the title and details of American Horror Story's season 2.
- Will we see a Battle Royale show? Likely not.
- FX still has hope for that Powers show.
A couple of trailers:
Doctor Who (You just skipped over all the other stuff to get down here, didn't you.)
This helps kill the time before the next season starts.
Check this out—all (American) Harry Potter chapter illustrations together on one page.
Can I come over and play in your kids' playscape, J.K. Rowling?
In movie news:
- Christopher Eccleston has signed on to play the main villain in Thor 2. This makes me excited. (1/2 point to Rebecca!)
- Marvel head Joe Quesada has been taking Marvel's Phase 2 plans.
- Might we see Ant Man before his solo film? (Thanks, Mark.)
- The X-Men: First Class sequel now has an official title.
- The rumored third Hobbit film is officially official now.
- Here are some possible options for the title of said third film.
- Scott Bakula would love to be in J.J. Abrams' Star Trek universe. I'm good with that—I'm one of the (seemingly) few Trek fans that actually liked Enterprise.
- An Independence Day 4 sequel was written, but it was so bad that the writer gave his money back.
- Here are some details on A Good Day to Die Hard.
- Rush Hour 4 is a go.
- Also in the works, a new live-action Marvels of the Universe.
- Steven Spielberg says that there won't be an Indiana Jones 5, and there definitely won't be "weaponized dinosaurs" in Jurassic Park 4.
- Here are a bunch of new Frankenweenie character posters.
- And a "quad" for Looper.
- How did I miss that Michael Douglas is playing Liberace, and Matt Damon his boyfriend?
- Listen to me meow—Super Troopers 2 is coming.
- Lady Gaga has joined the cast of Machete Kills.
A whole slew of trailers/videos:
The Dark Knight Returns (animated film) (Thanks, Mark.)
The Expendables 2
Silent Hill: Revelations 3D (Thanks, Wes!)
Mondo does it again. (This poster will go on sale sometime today—keep a close eye on @MondoNews if you're interested in getting it.)
These cartoon-ized posters of some classic movies make me want to see them animated.
From TGG, in video game news:
- Star Wars: The Old Republic is now free to play. (1/2 point to Rebecca for this bit o'news, too.)
- Final Fantasy XIV has been totally reworked with a new story, a new world and a new subtitle. It's now called Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, and it will be released for PS3 later this year.
- The original actors who portrayed Jaws and Drax in the 007 films will reprise their roles in the upcoming 007 Legends.
- FIFA 13 will put Kinect's voice recognition to use and allow the game's referees to take into account your potty mouth.
- Andrew Lloyd Webber: Sing & Dance for Wii will be released in the UK Sept. 14. As TGG rightly asserts, "I can only imagine what a travesty this will be."
- Here's a new trailer for Dishonored.
- Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition will be cross-platformable, which means that people playing on iOS can play against people on PCs, Androids, etc.
- The new game Dungeonland is a little different than other fantasy RPGs you might have played—in it, another player controls the enemies. Here's some info and a trailer.
- A new indie game Kickstarter aims to fund a nine-game bundle.
- Another new Kickstarter is looking to speed up production of the Oculus Rift VR headset, which has been called "the best VR demo probably the world has ever seen."
- Interested in the upcoming Halo 4 art book? Here's a look at the cover.
- Symbiote Studios is making vinyl toys based on Bethesda characters such as the Dragonborn character from Skyrim. They're available for preorder now for $10 and will be available at QuakeCon later this year.
I ran across one thing for you this week:
- The Expendables 2 tie-in game is now available on the Playstation Network.
Who knew manatees were so good at cosplay?
Two disparate parts of my nerd nature combine (quite awesomely) in these illustrations.
Cityscapes are cool, especially when they're fictional.
In comics and (tabletop) gaming news, from (now official) C&CC coorespondent Mark, a.k.a. The Comics Curmudgeon (TCC):
- Here's a bit of new info on some Marvel NOW! projects.
- And here's even more about the company's planned comics revamp.
- Geek & Sundry/Tabletop-approved games will soon be sold in Target stores.
I am super in love with both of these fan-made Avengers posters.
Also loving: these wallpapers.
SCIENCE! And tech news:
- The Mars rover Curiosity will land this weekend. Here's a list of ways you can watch.
- Scientists have found a new solar system that looks an awful lot like ours.
- Neil Degrasse Tyson and Bill Nye have backed a Kickstarter for a new documentary, Fight for Space.
- Apple has applied for patents that would let users control gadgets with Apple products. (Thanks, Wes.)
- Microsoft's new tablet, Surface, is expected to be released this October alongside Windows 8. (Thanks, Wes.)
And finally, I love a lot of these high-fashion outfits based on Disney characters. (I'd be careful if you embiggen—some of these could be considered somewhat NSFW due to the "sheer" nature of a few of the tops.)