Vol. 3, Issue 35
Have you been watching Pond Life, the series of (too) short minisodes of Doctor Who featuring the Ponds while they're not traveling with Eleven? You should be. They are adorable.
The first is below, and I'll link to parts 2, 3 and 4 under the video. (The fifth should be released Friday.)
Here are part 2, part 3 and part 4. The third is definitely my favorite so far. (Man, do I love Oods.)
In other TV news:
- ABC has officially ordered a S.H.I.E.L.D. pilot from Joss Whedon and Co. Said show will be autonomous from The Avengers film series. (Thanks, TCC!)
- The three "hint words" for the third series of Sherlock have been tweeted. They are: rat, wedding, bow. Anyone have any ideas what they might indicate?
- These new posters for series 7 of Doctor Who are super cool and super spoilery.
- Steven Moffat recently talked about how he came up with the idea of the Weeping Angels.
- Jonathan Frakes will be directing an episode of Castle in which a Comic Con-type event takes place.
- D.J. Qualls will reprise his role as Garth in the upcoming season of Supernatural.
- Jorge Garcia has joined Once Upon a Time as "The Giant."
- Classic Green Arrow sidekick Speedy have a part in Arrow.
- New information about season 5 of The Clone Wars has been released.
- No one is safe in season 3 of The Walking Dead. Here are some new photos from the show.
- And some from the new J.J. Abrams show Revolution.
- Would you watch a Beverly Hills Cop show?
- Vera Farmiga (Up in the Air) will be starring in the new A&E Psycho-prequel series Bates Motel.
- Adam Levine is acting now? He's part of the cast of American Horror Story's second season, which, has some of the same cast but a completely different story? (I'm confused.)
Here's a new teaser for the series 7 premiere episode of Doctor Who:
And one for the new season of Castle:
And one for the new series Star Wars: Detours, which looks ... kind of awful. (Thanks, TGG?)
These "honest" Game of Thrones mottos are funny.
And you know me and minimalism ... (Thanks, Erica!)
In movie news:
- Two new deleted scenes from The Avengers have been released. (Peep them below.) While I enjoy the Steve one—it makes me want to give the poor guy a hug—the alternate opening (Thanks, Colt!) makes me crinkle my nose. And dislike Maria Hill a whole lot.
- Chuck Norris says he won't be back for Expendables 3. I'm fine with this—he played an awesome role in 2, but it wasn't one that really needed to continue into the numerous (natch) other films that will be made in this franchise.
- Since Ben Affleck's kiboshed the Justice League rumors, will the Wachowski's be directing?
- Also in JL rumors: Will the movie launch a Batman reboot?
- Hugh Laurie will no longer be playing the Robocop reboot villain.
- However, Michael Keaton will.
- While we're on the subject, supposedly, the director is having serious difficulties with the movie.
- Johnny Depp will be starring in Wes Anderson's next film, Grand Budapest Hotel.
- Michael Fassbender is in talks to star alongside Natalie Portman in Jane's Got a Gun, a new western.
- Ryan Gosling will be directing a new fantasy movie ... that he also wrote.
- The Lego movie now has an official plot, and Elizabeth Banks and Morgan Freeman will lend their voices to the film.
- Star Wars: Episode 2 and 3 will see 3D release in 2013. (Barf.)
- The issue-plagued Uncharted film doesn't have a director at the moment, but it does have the National Treasure screenwriters. (1/2 point to TGG for this bit.)
- A Metal Gear Solid movie is in the works.
- Here's a look at some deleted scene imagery of a mutated dude from Prometheus.
- A first draft of the now postponed Michael Bay TMNT movie has leaked, and boy is it awful. The Internet, and co-creator Peter Laird, isn't feeling it either. (Thanks, TGG, for that second link.)
- Kick Ass 2 has a villain: The Tumour.
A few trailers/clips:
LOKI'd! That's totally fake. On to the real trailers:
The Dark Knight Returns (Thanks, TCC.)
Resident Evil 5
I find myself thinking in terms of cosplay a lot these days. These would be awesome to do.
Also, Mr. Potato Head as Bruce Willis? Inspired.
In SCIENCE! and tech news:
- Scientists have figured out how to vaporize planets. Watch out, Alderaan!
- Will we soon be able to watch 3D movies without the wretched glasses? (Or, you know, neural implants?)
- Awesome new photos of Mars from Curiosity ahoy.
- Two planets have been discovered that orbit twin suns. (Thanks, TCC.)
From TGG, in game news:
- Check out this trailer for Mass Effect 3's "Leviathan" DLC.
- Skyrim is getting a new DLC in which you'll get to build your own house, customize it ... and adopt children (?). It'll be released Sept. 4.
- The new WoW: Mists of Pandaria expansion comes with a whole slew of new mounts.
- Here are two sets of new screenshots from Grand Theft Auto 5.
- A new Sherlock Holmes game—Testament of Sherlock Holmes—will be released Sept. 25. (I really enjoy the wit of the writer who wrote up the post.)
- YouTube sensation 331Erock has a new video up of a metal version of songs from Kingdom Hearts. (He's also got some sweet nerdy tattoos.)
- The Tony Hawk HD remake game is getting 3 new levels and a few new skaters in an upcoming DLC bundle.
- Angry Birds will be releasing a Mars-themed set of levels this fall. Here's a gameplay trailer.
- Is "demaking" the next big thing in games? Two games—Borderlands and Super Mario Bros.—have recently been demade and are available to play in your browser.
- Crazy game guy Peter Molyneux has moved back the release of his new game, Curiosity. He's also added a subtitle to the game: "What's Inside the Cube." He's also already touting the game that will follow Curiosity, Cooperation.
- According to TGG, all you need to know about new game Primal Carnage is that it's an online multiplayer game in which you can play a human or a dinosaur. Here's a trailer.
- A fancy art book for Journey will be released next month.
I also ran across this: Star Wars 1313 art adds a touch of Blade Runner to make awesome. (Yes, the grammar in that title is awkward.)
I might like Pokemon a bit more if the creatures looked like this instead.
From TCC, this week's comic news:
- More info on Marvel NOW!
- A teaser for the end of the Avengers vs. X-Men series. (Thanks, me!)
- A look at the future of the X-Men from Fan Expo Canada.
- And at the covers of the upcoming DC Comics "zero issues."
I would like one of each of these Marvel NOW! variant covers by Skottie Young, preferably poster-sized.
These 80s X-girls are also super cute.
This is a lovely Wondy, but the star in her nether regions is a bit unnecessarily eye-catching.
Let's pause a moment to view this very important commercial:
This cake is spectacular. (Thanks, Shaun!)
0:26 is what really makes this parody video for me. I hope Lucas sees this and adds it in to his future (inevitable) revisions of Star Wars.
What's with rainy Avengers art this week?
Also? More babies.
And finally, this is AMAZING.(Thanks, Ben!)