Vol. 3, Issue 29
Hello friends. There's been a whole lot of news in the past week or so, thanks to Comic Con, so this is going to be a link and video-heavy post.
(Also, The Mary Sue just finished up with a series of Comic Con wrap-ups, which you can read here if you're interested in more in-depth coverage: 1, 2, 3 and 4.)
Before we get started with the news, however, in honor of this week's big movie, here's a video of a bunch of Batmans.
In TV news:
- Here are some more details on Doctor Who, series 7.
- The Legend of Korra has been renewed for a second season.
- Psych will be having a two-hour musical episode during it's upcoming seventh season.
- Christopher Judge (SG:1's Teal'C) is hinting at a new scifi series.
- Dean and Cas will get help leaving Purgatory in Supernatural's season 8 from a vampire.
- Johnny Depp will be revisiting one of his most famous roles—Edward Scissorhands—on Family Guy.
- The new Hannibal series has stolen a baddie away from Thor 2.
- How I Met Your Mother is likely getting a season 9. (The one starting this fall will be the eighth.)
A few videos:
Beauty and the Beast
How cute are the Doctor Who cast as bunnies?
In movie news:
- This quick wrap-up covers most of what Marvel announced at SDCC, including the official (sub)titles of Thor 2 and Captain America 2. Excuse me while I go flair around a
littlelotta bit. (Thanks, Mark!)
- Here's a look at the new armor for Iron Man 3. (Thanks, Colt!)
- The Mary Sue—great for those of us who have no clue—wrote up this article on who the Guardians of the Galaxy are.
- Captain America 2's Falcon has been cast.
- The new Marvel: Phase 1 movie collection is the absolute coolest. (Colt and I have totally already preordered it, natch.)
- The role of Wiress has been cast in Catching Fire, and Finnick and Beetee have new actors rumored to be in talks.
- Here are a few new character posters for The Hobbit.
- And this wallpaper generator has a ton of images from the movie. (Thanks, Annika!)
- Here are a whole bunch of (awkwardly photoshopped) character posters for Breaking Dawn: Part Two. But yay, Lee Pace!
- The Edgar Wright/Simon Pegg/Nick Frost movie The World's End has been greenlit. Here's an official poster.
- The Rock has confirmed his involvement in the in-process Lobo movie. (1/2 point to Colt for this news.)
- Karl Urban had to explain why he recently opened his big spoilery mouth.
- The official plot of the Robocop remake has been announced.
- Andrew Stanton will be directing a sequel to his biggest hit to date, Finding Nemo.
- Josh Trank (Chronicle) has been confirmed as the director of the new Fantastic Four.
- David Slade has dropped out of the Daredevil reboot.
- A new Sleeping Beauty movie has Beauty playing the role of stalker?
- The God of War screenplay is being rewritten by guys who worked on a bunch of the Saw movies. (Thanks, Wes!)
- Daniel Radcliffe has joined Horns, as a man who grows horns and gets superhuman powers along with them.
- There is a Hangover III in the works.
- The Need for Speed movie adaptation is scheduled to open Feb. 7, 2014. (Thanks, Wes.)
Halo 4 (Not exactly a movie, but a new webseries—1/2 point to Wes for this one.)
Judge Dredd (red band—NSFW)
Oz the Great and Powerful
The Lord of the Rings Mondo posters released at SDCC are beautiful.
I've posted a few of Melissa Smith's illustrations before, but I just love this style so much.
And these are fun.
This Y: The Last Man fan film shows the comic's serious adaptation potential.
And thank you, Thomas Jane, for being a huge nerd. (Thanks, Wes.)
SCIENCE! And tech news:
- That bizarre sunken Millennium Falcon thing? Might just be a Nazi gadget.
In comic news:
- Neil Gaiman is going to write a new Sandman prequel!
- A new Star Wars series will feature Leia as an X-Wing pilot.
These "Famous Sci-Fi Scenes Painted As 16th Century Ottoman Miniatures" are neat.
From TGG, some game news:
- Here's a little more information on the new "Earth" Mass Effect DLC. And a trailer.
- And here's a look at the James Vega-centered ME anime.
- A Deadpool game was announced during SDCC. (1/2 point to Colt for this one.)
- Watch Thor battle Dr. Doom in this trailer for Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth.
- Rocksteady is rumored to be working on a new silver-age Batman title dealing with Batman's first meetings with the Joker.
- Nightwing and Cyborg have joined the cast of Injustice: Gods Among Us. Here are some screenshots and a new trailer.
- Here's a gameplay trailer with Gollum for Guardians of Middle-earth.
- Halo 4 will supposedly work with Microsoft's new tablet.
- Speaking of, Windows 8 will be released Oct. 26.
- You can also get a special Halo 4-themed console bundle for $400.
- Contrary to previous reports, Willem Dafoe will not actually be in Beyond: Two Souls.
- Ellen Page still is in the game, however, and at some point she's in a submarine? Here's a behind-the-scenes look.
- Check out this trailer for the Game of Thrones MMO.
- I'm not quite sure I understand the whole Peter Molyneux thing, what with his "game experiments" and the parody twitter account of Peter Molydeux mucking everything up, but someone has created a game trailer for Curiosity. As TGG says, "Fake trailer from a fake person about a real game from a real (ridiculous) person."
- There might, eventually, be a new Earthworm Jim game.
- And one for PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale.
- Paramount's filed for a World War Z game trademark.
- Epic Mickey will be available on all platforms come Nov. 18, including Mac and PC.
- Valve's Source Filmmaker is now in open beta.
- Amazon has announced a new free-to-play online game service called Game Connect.
- A new Laugh Factory app will let you stream comedy for the PS3 come September.
- This new app teaches users to read Japanese characters.
Steampunk Spidey! (Thanks, Mark.)
This video makes me smile.
And finally, I love Katie Cook's art so much. These are some of her commissions from SDCC.