Vol. 3, Issue 23
The big news this week has all been coming out of E3—the Electronic Entertainment Expo. Check out TGG's top bits in the gaming news below.
In TV news:
- Doctor Who's new companion has a name: Clara. Check the link for some on-set photos.
- The news Star Wars series, Underworld, will likely not be family-friendly.
- AMC will air a full-series marathon of The Walking Dead July 7 and 8 and will tease season 3 during. A black-and-white version of the pilot will also air during the marathon.
- Lost Girl, which I've been enjoying, has been picked up for a season 3.
- Nurse Jackie has been renewed for a fifth season.
- Here's a first look at Defiance—SyFy's video game/TV show hybrid.
- Jerry O'Connell has been cast as Herman Munster in the new Mockingbird Lane.
I need this.
In movie news:
- Iron Man 3 has begun filming; here's a photo of a bunch of suits. (Thanks, Colt!) And here's another glimpse.
- These set photos from Star Trek 2 show some new uniforms. And does this blurry image show a Klingon?
- Here are 7 things you should know about Prometheus before you see it this weekend. (Thanks, Colt.)
- Leonardo DiCaprio could have been in The Dark Knight Rises as ... The Riddler.
- A Justice League movie is now moving forward. No really; a screenplay writer has been hired.
- Also moving forward? A Wonder Woman movie.
- Captain America 2 will be directed by Community alums.
- Marvel also might be working on a Black Panther film.
- All those rumors about who's in the running to play Finnik Odair in Catching Fire? Just rumors.
- Here's a new Hobbit set video.
- I guess this fits in this section: George Lucas has retired from Lucasfilm.
- Benedict Cumberbatch will star in a the Steve McQueen-directed 12 Years A Slave. The movie also stars Chiwetel Ejiofor, Michael Fassbender and Brad Pitt.
- Charlize Theron talks Mad Max 4 in this interview.
- Guy Richie has set his sights on Treasure Island.
- Chris Pine and Scarlett Johannson will be working together in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.
- The (long-awaited) Fraggle Rock movie has a script!
- Kick Ass 2 will reunite the cast of the first movie.
- Here are some plot details for the new Wachowskis movie, Jupiter Ascending.
- Independence Day will be released in 3D next summer. (Sigh.)
Here are a few trailers/clips:
The Bourne Legacy
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
This one's not official, but it's awesome nonetheless. (Thanks, Wes!)
Aw! Love the Minions. (Thanks, H!)
These posters are great.
- The new Guardians of Middle-earth is a Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit multiplayer online battle arena.
- Here are some details on Star Wars 1313, the new bounty hunter-centric game.
- Nintendo wants you to like the WiiU—here's a video booth tour.
- Doom 3 is getting repackaged in a "BFG Edition."
- As Wes says, "Look at this ridiculous Aliens: Colonial Marines collector's edition."
- Also, I really couldn't say this any better: "Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is offering early access to a special stage as a pre-order bonus. The stage features a digital Snoop Dogg on a giant throne surrounded by real dogs and hip hop ladies." You all want this now, I know.
- Xbox is adding a bunch of TV apps to their services.
- This is what Final Fantasy might look like in the future.
- Microsoft also recently announced SmartGlass, a new app-sharing service.
Mystery Science Theater 3000Rifftrax guys are now adding their comedy to video games.
- Kevin Smith is now making video games.
- Peter Molyneux is working on a new game called Curiosity.
And here are a whole bunch of trailers/gameplay clips, for:
- Assassin's Creed 3
- Beyond: Two Souls, from the studio behind Heavy Rain.
- Dead Space 3
- The Elder Scrolls: Online
- Epic Mickey 2
- Fable: The Journey
- Gears of War: Judgement
- Guardians of Middle-earth
- Halo 4. And another trailer that shows us the inside of the starship UNSC Infinity.
- Injustice: Gods Among Us, which is a new tournament fighter featuring heroes and villains from the DC Universe.
- The Last of Us, the new survival game.
- LEGO: The Lord of the Rings
- Playstation All Stars: Battle Royale
- Quantum Conundrum
- Skyrim's new "Dawnguard" DLC. (The DLC releases June 26; you can apply to be a beta tester for the DLC here.)
- Star Wars 1313
- Tomb Raider 3
- Watch Dogs, "a mysterious cyberpunk title exploring themes of electronic surveillance, data aggregation and hacking." (via)
I ran across these bits:
- This is a list of the 16 coolest game mods ever.
- You can now download at game inspired by the 8-bit finale of Community.
These Mass Effect rings are super neat.
- Scientists have created injections that don't involve needles.
- Could SpaceX land humans on Mars?
- How will starships navigate in deep space?
- There are two new elements on the periodic table: Flerovium and Livermorium. (Regarding that second one: Really, guys?)
- Venus crossed across the sun yesterday. Here are some great photos of the event.
You can now read the first five pages of Before Watchmen.
Good gracious, Amy Mebberson's Pocket Princesses are adorable.
Wow. I don't like birds as pets, but I'd make an exception for this one. (Thanks, Shaun!)
And finally, prepare for summer sports in style with these Olympic Quidditch jerseys.