Today's NN is brought to you through the miracles of modern technology, and the ability to schedule posts. I'm actually on vacation at the moment (huzzah!). I couldn't let you all know sooner, since it was a surprise for my mother-in-law. (Happy birthday, Rita!) But let's get on with it, shall we?
*sniffle* I am going to be so heartbroken after seeing the last movie. Not that it doesn't end as well as can be, but that the series has come to an end. (Plus, I BAWLED during Part 1. I'm going to be all sorts of red faced and puffy after Part 2.)
In TV news:
- Neil Gaiman talks Sandman. (It's not happening ... at the moment?)
- Tom Colicchio of Top Chef fame has developed a menu based on Game of Thrones and is serving it out of food trucks in LA and New York. (I'm jealous.)
- The 17 most promising TV pilots for this fall. (According to SyFy's Blastr site.)
- Sad news for Mad Men fans: Season 5 won't air until summer of 2012.
- Lost Invader Zim episodes!
- Check out this prequel short for the first episode of Doctor Who series 6:
I'm a huge fan of "altered" history. Could it be that Nixon's missing 18 minutes weren't actually about Watergate?
Congrats to Helen Mirren for getting a star on Hollywood Boulevard! I love her.
In science news:
- A quadriplegic woman can control a mouse cursor thanks to a computer chip in her brain.
- A wavelength of light might be able to fix heart problems ... and deafness.
In movie news:
- Actors are currently testing for the roles of Peeta and Gale in The Hunger Games. (The idea that the older brother from Wizards of Waverly Place could play Gale makes me snicker.)
- Amy Adams is Lois Lane. (I'd never really thought about her in the role, but I like it!) And Michael Shannon, who always seems to play a bad guy, is in contention to play a Superman villain.
- Juno Temple (Michael Cera's love interest in Year One?) has joined The Dark Knight Rises.
Robin SparklesCobie Smulders will play Nick Fury's sidekick in The Avengers.
- We'll get to meet Hawkeye before The Avengers, in Thor.
- Michael Clarke Duncan to voice Kilowog in Green Lantern.
- Will Smith and Denzel Washington will star in a remake of Uptown Saturday Night. I've never seen the original, which starred Bill Cosby and Sidney Poitier, but I like the idea of Will and Denzel in a buddy comedy.
- Another team I enjoy: Nic Cage and John Travolta might reunite for two movies. They are both wacky enough that they play well off each other. (Face-Off is an excellent movie and I will hear no bad things said about it, thank you.)
- Has anyone seen Sucker Punch? Here's a couple of animated prequels, if you're interested.
- Mila Kunis joins James Franco in Oz, The Great and Powerful.
- Is a Batman reboot already in the works?
- Will we see a Justice League movie in 2013?
- A Johnny Depp look-alike has been cast as the younger Barnabas Collins. (I can see a resemblance.)
- There is still a Deadpool movie in the works.
This mashup tee is quite amusing.
- One of my favorite authors and all-around cool lady (she tweeted me once!) Gail Carriger has a new YA series in the works. If you've never read any of The Parasol Protectorate series, I highly recommend them.
- A "lost Doctor Who story" by Douglas Adams is becoming a book. (Thanks to Josey in the British Telly FB group for alerting me to this.)
And finally, in some alternate universe, there is a version of The Hobbit illustrated by Maurice Sendak. In ours, unfortunately (thanks to a labeling mishap and bruised egos), we only have this one drawing.